ID:1905642

Poll: What year would you say was your best year with BYOND?

2002 9% (8)
2003 2% (2)
2004 3% (3)
2005 11% (10)
2006 10% (9)
2007 16% (14)
2008 14% (12)
2009 12% (11)
2010 7% (6)
2011 4% (4)
2012 2% (2)
2013 0% (0)
2014 4% (4)

Login to vote.

Welcome to BYOND's great circle-jerk. Basically, when would you say you had the most fun, good community interaction and general 'golden era' good memories? And why? What was going on at the time to make that the case?

Apologies if you're old like Nadrew, the poll thing only allows for 13 options, so ... that's what we've got.
*complains anyways*
For me, it is 2007. The Naruto rips were spry, and you had every opportunity to become an admin on multiple games, gaining that source code and eventually forming your own small business rip. The economy was good in 2007. However in '08 and '09 those "mix games" started showing up, and what an abomination those were! Bleach and Naruto? Sometimes even One Piece, or this "Hitman" that gets reborn. It was just an atrocity.
Tell us what BYOND was like before colour TV, grand-papa Nadrew.
For myself? 2008/2009. Just because of the friends I made around that time, actively playing all types of BYOND games(mostly rips).
The good ole days with the old styled website, the byond dimes system rolling out, the old white pager. Good times.
2002 isn't old enough.
I guess mine would be 2008 or 2007 also, mostly owing to community/friends things. Getting particularly familiar with Alathon, Digi etc. You know, people I will be actually flying over to the UK for any future wedding I might have.

I'd essentially migrated completely away from the old SS13 community at the time also (who again, I really enjoyed in the main, and had made life-long friends like Zjm7891 and Blu through), into being a BYOND mod, and all that fluff around guilds and gurus, and of course, BYOND Anime, which honestly was hands-down my favourite thing to moderate and as a community of developers and artists, legit a pleasure to interact with and help. And Chatters, and our botting of http://www.lastknights.com/ to be the best country and essentially break the game with 15 people.

The other main guilds were alright too, but you just didn't really get that buzzing core of dev activity that BYOND Anime had in 2008. Lots of "big name" projects, and kids positively hyping themselves and helping out competitor projects and stuff.

From a fairly objective traffic perspective, I think BYOND was possibly already in a traffic decline by 2007, but yanno, there was certainly a good feeling of investment I got in BYOND then, and some sense that we could really make positive changes and grow the community and site.
2002 was my best year. Neohaxor, Lexy, SS13 on the horizon, HrH, DWO, FFO... All great times.

If we had to vote for when was the BYOND software the best, though, today hands down.
Mine was around 2005.

I was actively developing and was involved with the forums and chatters. Plus, games like scarey game, lode wars, ffo, and so on were still being played.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
Mine was around 2005.
Why has nobody done a remake of Lode Wars, goddamnit? That game was so fun... but... the damn savefile bug...
Because nobody wants to upset the ghost of Leftley. It's dangrous.
Doesn't have to be a copy. Can just be very closely inspired.
2006 was the best year for me. I met a lot of people here on BYOND that I have now been close friends with for almost a decade. Had I never met them, my life would be drastically different today.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Calus CoRPS wrote:
Mine was around 2005.

Being active with the community and making friends was the best part. I remember testing your games. Fun times. :)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
*complains anyways*

Typical of you.. right?
2005-2008 are probably when I was most active. Lots of games were being made, the community was lively, and there was a chatroom everyone actually used.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
2005-2008 are probably when I was most active. Lots of games were being made, the community was lively, and there was a chatroom everyone actually used.

I have to agree with SAx here
I'm not really fond of the current state (but generally, who is?), but I really liked 2007-2011 because both Hazordhu and Chatters were decently populated, and the website went from "nice and simple" to "looking good". Before then, I was mostly playing games and tinkering with other peoples' demos. Since then, I've been spending/wasting a lot of time on these forums, tinkering with my own small projects, complaining about everyone else's code, etc.
Page: 1 2 3 4