I'm so upset right now. I was so excited to work on a project for GiaD this year, but of all weeks where I have everything in the universe going on at one time, it was that week... Forever upset :(
A similar thing happened to me. Seemed like all the stars aligned to make sure I wouldn't finish. It's hard to make these events work for everyone, but I think Higoten did the best he could. The amount of decent entries that came out of this is proof. So this contest was definitely a success to me -- even if I didn't finish.
We could always potentially arrange another soon, maybe not GIAD, but something. It is a shame this is the only major thing of its type we do yearly. I think adding something else would be good.

Maybe stabilize it to something once every 3 months in the future. Instead of once every 12.
This seems like a good time to announce my new contest, the Game in a Day: A Magnificently Intriguing Timewaster edition, or the GiaDaMIT.

Please contact me for more details and/or merciless beatings.

I am serious though, if anyone who couldn't participate last time is interested I'll definitely try to host something soon. Really. I mean it.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
This seems like a good time to announce my new contest, the Game in a Day: A Magnificently Intriguing Timewaster edition, or the GiaDaMIT.

Please contact me for more details and/or merciless beatings.

I am serious though, if anyone who couldn't participate last time is interested I'll definitely try to host something soon. Really. I mean it.

How soon is soon? :D
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
I was thinking about a month to let the current one cool down, as I don't want to seem like I'm stepping on Higoten's feet.

If people are cool with me hosting one so soon after this one, I'd love to do so sooner.
Jam or bust. 48. 24 sucks.
In response to Vrocaan
There are no feet to step on over here! I’ve concluded my work with this contest, which was intended to help promote new developments, and I certainly wouldn’t want to hinder other near-term developments. Feel free to host on whatever dates you decide are best.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
I was thinking about a month to let the current one cool down, as I don't want to seem like I'm stepping on Higoten's feet.

If people are cool with me hosting one so soon after this one, I'd love to do so sooner.

I would definitely participate. I unexpectedly had to move, so I couldn't get an entry in Hig's GIAD. 48 hours would also be great.
I don't think it'd be too difficult to host more GiaD-style competitions more frequently. Hell, even monthly if we can get a good routine of people willing to host them. The prizes obviously wouldn't be as large but I feel like the prizes are secondary to the competition as a whole, so I personally don't mind. Bragging rights are always fun ;)

What I'd like to see are more contests like a Game-in-a-Week/Month with a much wider window of development. There I imagine we would see much more ambitious projects and would give developers a lot more time to sit down and really hammer out a full development cycle. I don't know, though. It's ambitious in and of itself, but it would be something to consider, I think.
In response to Kats
As much as I'd love to see the results of that, I don't think we have enough of the right kind of people for that right now. I mean it's hard enough to gather 24 hours, then 48 is a pretty good strain, a week and you run into lots of issues with peoples jobs etc, and anymore than that and it just gets complicated.

I think being that it's more so hobbyist developers around here the larger time frames would lead to loss of dedication, and/or motivation, as well as a lot of "Oh I'll just lose to whoever works less than me" kind of mindsets.

I'd say other themes, limits, styles, and such all within a still limited time frame like maybe... I don't know, 24-72 depending on the event would work best.

Examples of what I mean would be stuff like 8-bit game in a day, best arcade game in 48 hours, greatest mini-game pack in 72 (Think most simple, fun games you can make in a short period; sort of like Atari Arcade Hits from the 90's), and so on and so forth.

I say 72 hours because that's essentially one full weekend. Although, Higotens style of allowing registration the way he did could open up a lot of options for these. It helps make things more flexible, a hoster could run registration for as much as a month instead of a week for example.

Me personally though? I want something like Oasis GIAD really bad. I loved the themes and limitations of that so much, no offense to Higoten mind you his management system is spectacular, but that one suited me personally the most in every other way.
Just make sure the themes are good.
Touche. Maybe different themes that gets people utilizing libraries or other resources in interesting ways. Such as a contest for games built on certain frameworks like Forum_Account's RPG Framework. Idk, maybe just really getting new developers interested in participating would be the best option. Right now, most of the participants are people who've been here for a while, but setting up contest goals to help new devs practice good game design techniques probably wouldn't go amiss.
In response to Kats
I like that. Similar to the BYONDscape Single Tile Minigame contest from years ago. Somebody comes up with a simple little framework that everyone has to use to create a game.

I miss BYONDscape...
In response to Flick
Perhaps it's time to poke and prod Higoten for more, or to find someone else to take up the mantle for that one.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6