Fairy Tail

by Ryan-hemsley
Fairy Tail
A game in develepment based on the anime Fairy Tail by Hiro Mashima.
ID:1975778

Poll: Manifesting vs Branches

Branch System 62% (20)
Manifesting System 37% (12)
Option Suggested 0% (0)

Login to vote.

So, while I work on the spells, and combat, and items, and skills.....and finding every bit of code i used for this game....I have a Poll for you guys, yeah, thats right, another poll, Im going to be 'polling' on the byond hub as well, so dont feel like you have to post your opinion here.

Quite Simply, Ive thought of two distinct, yet similar ways to gain spells.

The First is a Manifesting System: Basically, all magics(save Celestial Spirit, Requip, and a few special other magics that would have other requirements) would have a 'Manifest' verb, this would allow them to manifest a part of their magic power in a certain way(be it in your hand, at your foot, in your mouth, ect...) there would also be an 'unleash' verb, in order to quite literally send the magic built up flying from your body. There would also be many spells that could only be learned from various melee attacks. using this manifestation, and the various unleashing of the energy would allow you to learn many of your spells, given good luck, and the smarts to apply it. The manifesting would be weaker however, compared to the spell it self, but it would allow for a bit of flexibility, exact details of how many spells of certain tiers you could learn would be determined later, but there would be a limit for many of the 'tiers'

The Second is the Branching System I mentioned earlier: Basically, each magic would start out with some ability/spell, and you would slowly gain spells based on your own play style, as you would be 'choosing' what spells you learn, and each one would have upgraded versions, and subsequently spells with upgrades of their own to learn. Using a 'decide how you use the spell' to define the Branch you take. This would require a lot more coding and icons, but ultimately would allow for far more differences in the individual magics.

Thirdly we......wait what? We don't have any more options? well, f*** why did you give me a third sheet of paper? Oh, you want them to come up with an idea if they don't like mine? well, why didn't you just write that? That was MY job!?! F*** You, You're Fired!! *alternate self dissipates*
Well, ok, so it seems I only have two options, but if you guys think of something a tad bit better that wouldn't be a total bitch and a half to code(ET, I know your reading this), Then please post it.
As of now, I really like the sound of Branching. It also seems the most natural, given how they appear to develop spells in Fairy Tail unless it's an extremely rigid magic type akin to Requip where basically everything about the item is known in advance.

I like the second idea just needs a few tweaks that should be easily implemented, but hard to come up with material and content that won't feel the same.

Give the players freedom of choice. Allowing them to choose a play style that best fits them. Then based on their play style have the magical spells given to them be based on that particular play style.

For example lets say i was a bto user who likes magical spells that use mp as a cost and like to use ranged attacks. (Well i don't know what kind of ranged spells you're going to be able to make for magical users for bto gl with that). So i would then get spells that take mp and have it's damage based on my magical power? been so long i completely forgot the name of the stat :C.

To do this? Quite easy as it turns out. Remember i once posted something on the forums about getting spells by leveling up a certain stat and when you get to particular levels of different stats and such you would get a special spell?

Yeah this would kind of be like that you could call it a spell map.

So lets say for bto.

At Str lvl 10 i get black bull
At Str lvl 35 i get iron bull
At Str lvl 40 i get stone bull
At Str lvl 40 & At Speed level 50 i get lizard arm thing.
At Defense lvl 55 & At Vit lvl 35 i get Full beast take over Lizard man or something
At Str lvl 55 & At Speed level 100 i get weretiger

At Magical Defense level 15 i get some arm that can fire magical based projectiles.
At Magical Power level 35 i get some arm that melee is now magical power based
At Magical Power Level 40 & Str Level 35 i get some arm or full body take over that has something to do with Magical power and Str.

Something like that.

Then when you're finished making your spell map you can maybe post it on the forum so players can work out a build they may want to go or just figure what spells they are going to get etc.
I WANT TO SWITCH MY VOTE TO BRANCHING