ID:2010815

Left BYOND for a few years and have a few questions.

Can BYOND be used to make browser games yet? I've tried searching for the old posts and have trouble finding them and don't know if its been done by Tom. The last thing I heard is them switching from Flash to HTML5 so it was delayed.

Can BYOND games be downloaded and played by people that don't have BYOND installed? - This applies to single player games.
First one Not Yet, second one No or to hard to do.
The answer is actually yes to both. The web-client is in beta right now and available for everyone to use with their projects currently.

The standalone creation system is also available to developers but the process has been made more manual due to a few issues but there's a couple of games that utilize it effectively right now.

NEStalgia even has a standalone setup on Steam.
The standalone is available to anyone that knows how to program. We don't need to hold the owner of BYOND's hand for that. It's just the host files and Dream Seeker bundled together into the resource files, extracted, and then executed; it's not even a true standalone.

The answer is yes to both, but both were possible before the webclient even came out. Everything's possible if you learn how.
411607 wrote:
Can BYOND be used to make browser games yet? I've tried searching for the old posts and have trouble finding them and don't know if its been done by Tom. The last thing I heard is them switching from Flash to HTML5 so it was delayed.

We have the webclient now, which is very full-featured and should handle most games with minimal trouble. All you have to do is enable the webclient when hosting the game. (A Windows or Linux installation has to host the game; the webclient joins the game remotely.)

Can BYOND games be downloaded and played by people that don't have BYOND installed? - This applies to single player games.

The old-old standalone setup is sort of out of use and hasn't been dealt with in a while, but I'd very much like to revisit this so that single-player games are easier to distribute. The standalone that Nadrew referred to is really more designed for multiplayer games.

To catch you up on new language features:

Version 508 introduced exception handling, the atom.appearance var, MouseWheel, and maptext_x/y.

509 introduced atom.plane and atom.appearance_flags, special flags for animate(), color matrix support, client.color, and animation for client.color and client.pixel_x/y/z.

510 is in the works now and will include many new text handling routines, regular expressions, and atom/plane grouping to allow for more sophisticated effects.
Nadrews comment stopped me from essentially quitting for another 1-2 years :p

I would like to eventually learn how to program using BYOND but I was never good at doing those types of things. I get very frustrated more so than other people when I try to do something and I can't find a way to solve the problem in the code I'm writing. Usually I don't take baby steps when coding and instead skip to step 5 trying to do something harder than possible. Had a lesson in Java for 2~ years, cleared things up a little.
If you have experience in Java use Eclipse and make your game in Java.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
If you have experience in Java use Eclipse and make your game in Java.

Nah, Java's AWT isn't written with games in mind. You'd have to target the JNI or use a library that does to effectively write a game in Java. That'd mean the rendering engine would be written in another language to be optimal.

Lugia has absolutely zero experience in game design and programming. He never knows what he's talking about.
I get very frustrated more so than other people when I try to do something and I can't find a way to solve the problem in the code I'm writing

Several of us over in Developer Help volunteer an awful lot of our time trying to help people understand problems. You run into trouble, you give us a call over in that forum.
In response to Shatan
Shatan wrote:
Nah, Java's AWT isn't written with games in mind. You'd have to target the JNI or use a library that does to effectively write a game in Java. That'd mean the rendering engine would be written in another language to be optimal.

You say this like any of this is bad. There are a lot of inefficiencies in BYOND as it stands now. In addition, you clearly said that having more control is better and using Java would allow you to have more control over your game OpieOP
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
You say this like any of this is bad. There are a lot of inefficiencies in BYOND as it stands now. In addition, you clearly said that having more control is better and using Java would allow you to have more control over your game OpieOP

Java by itself is not ideal for developing games. The fact you've recommended it for game development further exemplifies how ignorant you are about programming. Being better than BYOND in comparison does not make it good, plus many people here, like yourself, don't have the mental capacity to understand real world programming.

Minecraft, Runescape, and numerous other popular Java games have their rendering engines made in another language. You shouldn't have unblocked me. You're just going to make yourself out to be a bigger idiot than you've already portrayed yourself to be, being the worst programmer on this site and whatnot.
In response to Shatan
Never blocked you m80. Seriously your account is like 2 weeks old. I only have 1 person blocked, and it's not you unless you made an alt for no reason. And I really don't care if I'm the worst programmer on this site.

Java by itself is not ideal for developing games.

Neither is BYOND.

Minecraft, Runescape, and numerous other popular Java games have their rendering engines made in another language.

What you're saying here is that despite these other games being made in Java, that you want to say Java is useless for the sake of argument, not because it's useless. As these games are notoriously huge successes.

Java works fine kid, go for it. You'll be better off in the long run.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Never blocked you m80. Seriously your account is like 2 weeks old. I only have 1 person blocked, and it's not you unless you made an alt for no reason. And I really don't care if I'm the worst programmer on this site.

I'd call you a liar if I wasn't convinced you have an intellectual disability.

Neither is BYOND.

In your case, you're either developing in BYOND or nothing at all. It's not ideal for developing games, but it's apt for this situation. Professional game development just isn't for everyone; you're the epitome of that.

What you're saying here is that despite these other games being made in Java, that you want to say Java is useless for the sake of argument, not because it's useless. As these games are notoriously huge successes.

No. I've clearly stated Java isn't the only programming language involved. You're really bad at reading comprehension. Also my replies aren't for the sake of arguing, but for the sake of correcting your misinformation.

Java works fine kid, go for it. You'll be better off in the long run.

Again, Java by itself is not "fine" for games with visuals, unless there is another language or library involved to handle the rendering. Similar libraries can be extended to BYOND with call()(). You don't a valid argument.

Don't project your insecurity onto the OP by referring to them as kid.
In response to Shatan
Nice photoshop bro.

If you want to make a BYOND browser game you'll require AT LEAST MySQL, unless you want randoms to have to register to BYOND to have their information saved (which is horrendous. BYOND is like Steam with no games in that case). So what's the problem with having to use other languages? Your issue here seems to be that it requires "work". Well tough kuhnoogies brah, making games requires work. And if you want to make money off of the game, why not use a system in which 30% of your monies isn't stolen to buy Lummox more ramen?

Java works fine kid.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Nice photoshop bro.

Brain damage.

If you want to make a BYOND browser game you'll require AT LEAST MySQL unless you want randoms to have to register to BYOND to have their information saved (which is horrendous. BYOND is like Steam with no games in that case).

MySQL isn't necessary for an account system, but it's an option available to those that prefer it. You're such a computer illiterate. What kind of dumbass that calls themselves a programmer thinks every database is managed by MySQL?

You'd have to make your own database handling in Java too if you wanted your own. What you say is redundant and has no argument to it.

So what's the problem with having to use other languages? Your issue here seems to be that it requires "work". Well tough kuhnoogies brah, making games requires work. And if you want to make money off of the game, why not use a system in which 30% of your monies isn't stolen to buy Lummox more ramen?

Your reading comprehension is sooooo bad. Never have I brought the workload into context, but you hypocritically just complained about the need to make your own database to circumvent BYOND's key system. It's mind boggling how much of an idiot you are.

The issue isn't the language or the workload but the fact you're incapable.

Java works fine kid.

Go back to your coloring books and making your parents refrigerator art, kid.
In response to Shatan
You have to circumvent BYOND's key system because the key system is trash. It prevents most games from getting off the website because users have to install BYOND. MySQL is an easy database language so I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it, especially with several website providers offering MySQL packages when you buy a domain.

Anyway, you've yet to give a reason as to why using Java wouldn't work. You're just saying that it'd be harder, which shouldn't be a deterrent when you want to make a quality game. Especially if you want to keep all of the money (can't have Uncle lummox taking all the monies away)
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
You have to circumvent BYOND's key system because the key system is trash. It prevents most games from getting off the website because users have to install BYOND. MySQL is an easy database language so I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it, especially with several website providers offering MySQL packages when you buy a domain.

The language MySQL uses is SQL not MySQL. You're stupid. Preinstalled MySQL packages are trash too. It's better to set up your own server.

Anyway, you've yet to give a reason as to why using Java wouldn't work. You're just saying that it'd be harder, which shouldn't be a deterrent when you want to make a quality game. Especially if you want to keep all of the money (can't have Uncle lummox taking all the monies away)

I've never said it would be harder. I said Java by itself would not be optimal, therefore no quality game. Your reading comprehension is sooooo bad, but it's not like you have any idea what you're talking about. You'll never make anything of quality.
In response to Shatan
Shatan wrote:
ad hominem

Okay bro, whatever helps you sleep at night
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Shatan wrote:
ad hominem

Okay bro, whatever helps you sleep at night

Nah, the insults were separate from the argument. You're just an idiot.

Unblocks to insult, then reblocks like a no-life loser. I have no idea what he's talking about, but who really would? He's a retard.