ID:2078511

Not a bug
BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 45.0
Applies to:Website

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
I think this is a known issue, but I can't find a bug report for it.

Descriptive Problem Summary:
When hosting files on certain websites, e.g. DropBox, the files can not be downloaded and installed through the pager and instead must be downloaded via the ZIP link. This is an issue on two fronts:
  1. I can no longer track stats about downloads, meaning I can't readily gauge interest in any given library.
  2. It becomes more difficult to notify users about updates: bumping the hub version up will only notify users who have the library installed, and while I can make a new post on the Discussion page, doing that for minor updates (e.g., bug fixes, minor features additions) so it appears on the main forum seems spammy.

For an example of a hub with this issue, see each of my public hub entries.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
  1. Upload a file to a website like DropBox, and get a share link.
  2. Create a hub entry with a link to that file.
  3. Attempt to download the project through the Download link.

Expected Results:
The library will download and install successfully.

Actual Results:
A dialogue window titled "Download Failed" and saying "Installation of [MyLibrary] failed."

When does the problem NOT occur?
When using the "right" website, whatever criteria that may be.

Workarounds:
Either using a different website (not feasible for me at the moment) or simply downloading the ZIP file directly. The latter option is what I've been promoting at the moment, but as mentioned above it has significant drawbacks.
BYOND doesn't support https yet. I recall reading that Lummox would implement libcURL soon.
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
Yes, I plan to get HTTPS support in soon if possible. It's high on my priority list for 511.