ID:2160719

Hey guys, I'm not sure where to post this but I thought I would post it here since it seemed like the most relevant place to put it. I've been on byond since 2008 (different key) and I've always enjoyed it as a place for developers to have a good time and make games! Currently I am a computer science major in university and really want to try developing in Byond for fun or as a hobby and just to develop my programming abilities in general. I know basic Java, Python and C for Object Oriented Programming.

Could anyone give me some advice on how I could tackle learning the Byond Programming Language and whether I should try learning thru rips or making a game from scratch! Thank you and I hope to get some feedback :)
Personally, you would be better off making a game from scratch and using the DM Guides on the site here. Learning from rips "can" get you started but, 99% of the time, rips are coded in all the wrong ways so it would end up causing you to learn the wrong ways as well.

If you're already able to code in Java and C, coding with Byond will be easy for you once you get the hang of the differences. Although, lots of people will argue with me... And probably delete my post anyways. (Right Nadrew? :P)
You are far better off learning from scratch than from existing codebases. Genesis Magician is right there.

The patterns employed in the most popular anime game codebases are nothing you want in your toolkit.
Holy sweet god... Someone agreed with me? Hey! Miracles DO happen. lmao
I learned through libraries/demos and the occasional source code when I was 6 years old and adopted a ton of bad practices, some of which I still have trouble dropping today. What made me much better however was reading snippets and such the community have posted.

Ter13's in particular bit's really have been fitting my learning style as of late. Ter13 usually showcases what not to do, how to do said thing better and explains everything in depth both through DM and words throughout the entire article-snippet-bit-whatever. Here's a link to his sunday snippets & more recent build a MORPG from the ground up tutorials.

http://www.byond.com/ forum/?command=search&text=sunday+snippet

http://www.byond.com/forum/?forum=150410

I also know there was some talk of remaking the DM manual or whatever it's called, if there's been some progress on that then that might also be an option. Personally, the original thing confused the shit out of me as a kid and so to this day I don't touch the thing.
Holy sweet god... Someone agreed with me? Hey! Miracles DO happen.

Nobody hates you bro. It's all about them facts. Your facts just happened to check out today. =D