ID:22151

Keywords: games
Taken from my GameFAQs post on the PS2 hardware forums:

"Description from...

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/45836

This happens to me. I press Open and the disc tray shoots out incredibly quickly and it doesn't register the fact that the drive is already open and you can hear it trying to continue opening the tray even though it's already out.

The answer there says to "reseat" the disc tray: how is this accomplished? Should I just take it apart and kind of set the drive back in place or is it more difficult than that?

My mom's first suggestion was "let's just throw it out" which shocked me so much, given the fact that FFXII just came out and Guitar Hero II is on Wednesday -- she should know these things! >:(

Any help appreciated :)"

Seriously can anybody help :( I just took my PS2 apart and fiddled with stuff but to no avail and with those two games out/out soon I am dying and crying all in one terrible pile.

Please! :(
I'm not sure of the exact mechanism that opens/closes the drive, but I'm fairly sure its gear driven... Perhaps something has "slipped" in there causing the drive gear and teeth on the tray to be out of sync?
Yeah, it's gear driven. There's three little rings that rotate each other connected by an elastic band. I was actually pretty surprised that it was so flimsy!

But anyway, I disassembled the whole three-sprocket gear system and put it back together and it did the same thing. :\

Really I think any owner of a PS2 should take it apart (if they don't worry about the warranty stuff) and see how everything works. It's really quite an incredible little machine :)
My solution: Go buy an Xbox.
BigBoiD wrote:
My solution: Go buy an Xbox.

Xbox has crap for a game selection.

My answer: Is give your mother an altimatum, "I will take your suggestion, if you buy me a new one"

I have a thin PS2 I can't have this problem =)
I have an extra PS2 I'd be happy to sell you - it's even softmodded. :-D
Lawl, I got a big shock from my first PS2 when it broke. I was a dumbass and lost the clip that holds in the ribbon wire that goes to the open and reset buttons on the ps2. And tried to fix it and shocked myself, I'm an idiot. ;P
You can buy replacement PS2 drives left and right. They come from the laser problems. Many companies set out on marketing refurbished or replacement drive parts because of it. Just surf ebay for replacement drives.
See but I didn't want to spend a whole thwack of dollars on it since the Wii comes out so soon and I've not been working that many hours on account of school so money is short (just short enough to afford a Wii).

Maybe I can put off getting a PS2 & FFXII & Guitar Hero 2 until I get a full-time job in the new year.

Hargh :(

Unless one of you chaps could find me a replacement drive for very cheap ;)

Also: Ben G please explain softmodded and explain prices!

<3uall;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modchip#PlayStation_2

Sounds like a soft-mod is some kind of non-hardware version of a mod-chip? Like to change the actual software?