ID:2249293

Not a bug
BYOND Version:511
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 57.0.2987.133
Applies to:DM Language

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Big atom objects that are set on top of a turf in isometric map format cause odd visual glitches in how they are rendered.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Adding any object as big atom causes the issue among tiles that have called generateMagnitude()

Workarounds:
Switched trees to non-big atom variant solved the problem. This is an issue with all big atom objects under isometric mode.

Code Snippet
turf
Tile
layer = 0
plane = -4
proc/
generateMagnitude(shift)
var/icon/i = new(icon,icon_state)
var/icon/undertile = new('Under Tile.dmi')
i.Shift(NORTH,shift)
undertile.Shift(NORTH,shift)
i.Blend(undertile,ICON_UNDERLAY,1,1)
icon = i

obj
Tree
icon = 'Snow Trees 2.dmi'
plane = 0
layer = MOB_LAYER + 1

Lummox JR resolved issue (Not a bug)
I'm pretty sure the fact that big icons don't really mix well with isometric mode is documented.
I forgot to add this, but looking into improving isometric layering is on my to-do list for 512.
lummox did u look into this for 512

crazah wants to make isometric game but this is impacting him
I've managed a bunch of work-arounds for this issue, but now I've hit a blocker.

Without using deprecated features, there's not a good way to tackle using big atom on an atom/movable. They cause all sorts of layering oddities as they move.

EDIT: After talking with SSX on this. We discovered setting BACKGROUND_LAYER on the tiles you want to appear below the atom movable is a viable workaround, since that forces it to appear below everything.

This works in place of plane in this instance, since plane doesn't behave as expected when encountering big atoms under isometric mode.