ID:2256179

(See the best response by Unwanted4Murder.)
Hey guys, I am trying to determine what the best way to handle a Skill tree for my game. Here is an example for one of the Powers:

*Using the interface

As you see I have worked diligent to get it just right, in the end I'd like it to display the description of a skill in the middle where it says "OA" and to have the skill icons grey'd out before you attain them. I looked at other forums posts and skimmed the developers section for tutorials on the matter but both instances I saw people using objects on the screen rather than using the interface. I do not know how many Powers I will have in-game though the number may be over 10-15 and would like to know if using the interface a good way to go.

Best response
If you like it and think it looks good, then go for it. Interfaces are one of the only parts of BYOND that actually run on the client instead of the server, so it's the most efficient way to handle it. I prefer screen objects because I think they look better aesthetically and the performance hit from using them is nowhere near as nasty as it used to be, but if you feel more comfortable using interfaces then by all means, use them.