ID:2448218

Byond has the option to support 1000x1000 maps, and I'm wondering that in a decently detailed world, that performance might be a concern.

I don't know how byond handles and renders maps, but I'm assuming that there would be little or no difference between the two since byond only draws things you tell it to draw.
Not much difference, really. You're still loading the same amount of stuff on the server when the world is running, and the client only loads what it needs.

However, working on a smaller map is a lot easier to do effectively, you're a lot more likely to properly detail a small map.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Not much difference, really. You're still loading the same amount of stuff on the server when the world is running, and the client only loads what it needs.

However, working on a smaller map is a lot easier to do effectively, you're a lot more likely to properly detail a small map.

Oh, I never considered this. Perhaps I'll make a map loading system similar to what most Space Station 13 servers have and load maps up on a grid based system so it can easily be organized.
Btw, 10 100x100 maps is only 100k turfs, while one 1000x1000 map is 1 million turf. Not equivalent.
Late response, but I guess they just messed up the calculation 100x 100x100 would be my assumption.
Theoretically using a hundred 100x100 system could be more efficient since you don't necessarily need to load everything on the 100x100 maps from the get go--same thing can be done with a 1000x1000 map too but chunk loading versus having the chunks easily pre-defined by what map is used seems easier to manage.