ID:260363

I hear the new dmi files are compatible with png, this is great news for me and other spriters who use programs outside dm. Why not make them compatible with Gifs (frames of png) as well?

Think of how much of a pain it would be to scale something like this tile by tile. http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/236/ normswordcombofcr2.gif
And thats only the front.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3789/picture4wt8.png
I seem to recall this procedure taking some 2 hours in the older days. Not to mention the % of a you messing up considering your only human, then you got to go back and figure out the riddle of "0,0-2,2"(96x96 measurements in dmi) while using the animation state in the game.
Gifs and PNGs are different formats.

Considering scaling, for a fair bit now, BYOND's had a proc called icon.Scale(). You can use it to scale your icons for you.

Also, with 4.0's resizable map window, you might want to consider whether or not you need to have resized icons in every particular case. You could have the map screen sized up by 200% rather than all of its icons.

Lastly, you can also just open a .gif, .bmp, or anything in your favourite paint program, and resize it all at once. Then, import it into dreammaker again, which will handle splitting everything up for you. Some programs (like photoshop), can even be set to resize a whole bunch of files at the same time automatically.
In response to Jon88
I'm not entirely sure, but I think he wanted the ability to import an animated GIF file into an animated DMI icon., so that he didn't have to do the grunt-work for each frame.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but I think he wanted the ability to import an animated GIF file into an animated DMI icon., so that he didn't have to do the grunt-work for each frame.

Hiead

Basically, yeah. I dont know what "resizing" had to do with things, from there i just got completely confused. I guess screen shots would be cool.
In response to Hiead
byond 4 aparently has some support for larger icon sizes. My experience so far hasnt been overly great but it might be some help, as you can copy and paste a 96x96 picture into a DMI file, still ive yet to really play with it.
The existing features haven't even been released yet and people are already demanding new ones. :P
In response to Foomer
Is there a better time?
In response to Hiddeknight
Yeah wait until its released. :P At least then people can demand features knowing what its already capable of.
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
byond 4 aparently has some support for larger icon sizes. My experience so far hasnt been overly great but it might be some help, as you can copy and paste a 96x96 picture into a DMI file, still ive yet to really play with it.

Yeah, but I hear you can't paste the next frame's of the larger icon's so it appears as an animation, you'd end up pasting in 32x32 tiles one at a time like you did in the older version. Gif compatibility would make things easier and save so much time.

Lol, Foomer. Anyway, this is no demand, just a suggestion. They've gone so far with 4.0, I already have respect for it.
In response to Hulio-G
The GIF format can't be used in any program that has any kind of commercial standing (BYOND members puts BYOND into that category now) without paying licensing fees and all that. That's why it's not supported as a valid import/export type. They could support MNG animations, though, which is easy if they already know the details of libpng (which they should) libmng isn't too different.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The GIF format can't be used in any program that has any kind of commercial standing (BYOND members puts BYOND into that category now) without paying licensing fees and all that.

While this was true in the earlier days of BYOND (and so Dan would have rightly avoided it), I am fairly sure that BYOND would be safe using GIF now; the LZW patent expired in 2003 (the year after Dan left, poo), and as is said by Wikipedia, the GIF format itself may now be used freely.

Hiead
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Nadrew wrote:
The GIF format can't be used in any program that has any kind of commercial standing (BYOND members puts BYOND into that category now) without paying licensing fees and all that.

While this was true in the earlier days of BYOND (and so Dan would have rightly avoided it), I am fairly sure that BYOND would be safe using GIF now; the LZW patent expired in 2003 (the year after Dan left, poo), and as is said by Wikipedia, the GIF format itself may now be used freely.

Actually, Dan had nothing to do with this decision. I don't think his computer even had a graphics card! But you are correct that it was over a license issue, and it's good to know that we appear to be safe to use it now.
In response to Hiead
Hiead wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Hiead

Dan left? So who's working on Byond v4 now? Is it just Tom, or are there other developers?
In response to Guy Hendricks
Guy Hendricks wrote:
Dan left? So who's working on Byond v4 now? Is it just Tom, or are there other developers?

From what I can gather, it stands like this:

Mike H and Deadron - Hub and website
Tom and Lummox - Software Suit

And I think ShadowDarke works on the software as well. If not, FMOD was his at least.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
And I think ShadowDarke works on the software as well. If not, FMOD was his at least.

From what I've heard, he's in charge of OpenGL and graphics too.
In response to Jon88
Jon88 wrote:
Tiberath wrote:

From what I've heard, he's in charge of OpenGL and graphics too.

Yep, he's the guy responsible for taking BYOND out of the dark ages of graphics & sound technology!
In response to Tom
You guys forgot about Nadrew =(
In response to Flame Sage
Does Nadrew have some involvement with BYOND? I thought he was just a mod.
In response to Zagreus
Zagreus wrote:
Does Nadrew have some involvement with BYOND? I thought he was just a mod.

He's the Keeper of the Bag. (which is dan-shaped)
In response to Flame Sage
More importantly you forgot about Gughunter and Zilal.

You can find the list at http://bwicki.byond.com/ByondBwicki.dmb?ByondStaff
Page: 1 2