In response to Lifehunter
Lifehunter wrote:
In one of the Earlier posts somebody mentioned that changing the security on the resources would be useless because people would just crack it again, I'm not sure if this would even be a possibility (and nobody but BYOND staff try to correct me, because you DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW.) but maybe we should be able to encrypt it ourselves, so that BYOND doesn't have to. Making every game different and allowing for supreme safety of the resources.

Yes, this is a possibility. No, I'm not staff. Yes, I do know. Someone with enough time on their hands could easily crack it within a month.

Anyhow- even if they /do/ encrypt it, we can at least grab the images from memory.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
What is somewhat tedious to do in BYOND [...]

You could probably even make it pretty automatic now, with a little work and some (ab)using of dm.exe.
Impossible! That would require that the client uses your algorithm to unlock every icon which would be extremely laggy considering all processing is server-based. Also, we can't edit binary data in BYOND, so there is no way.
In response to GotenSon11
Something more doable would be the option to delete the RSC after a person has left the game. That's a bad idea, though, because we've got a lot of dialup users on here who would not appreciate redownloading the RSC file all of the time.
In response to Audeuro
the point is, its excessively easy now. You dont edit the code to protect from hackers ever being able to cheat somehow.

But for god sake if they can use ArtMoney/Gametrainer on your game, thats a serious problem. If it requires super advanced packet editing, then not so much.

This is the same thing, im not concerned about people doing anything that takes much more effort than the RSC extractor i posted. If byond admins would please put some sort of roadblock, i mean the community would appreciate it, and its essential.
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
The reason im able to get good talent to work for me, is because i would never say such a goddamn ignorant thing.

That's funny, considering how IGNORANT you are being on this subject and how IGNORANT your statements are.
It could still be broken.
In addition to what 'Capt said,

Lifehunter wrote:
but maybe we should be able to encrypt it ourselves, so that BYOND doesn't have to. Making every game different and allowing for supreme safety of the resources.

Suddenly, a non-BYOND-staffer can be knowledgeable about encryption?
Why do you think YOUR algorithm won't be extremely easy to crack? It is hard to make a good one, thats why people mainly stick to a handful of verified good ones. So in fact it can and most likely will actually end up less secure that way.
Who's ignorant now?
In response to Masterdan
Only the host of a server can edit variables using any sort of editing utility like ArtMoney or O'matic. However, developers can easily prevent that sort of thing.
In response to Masterdan
ArtMoney/GameTrainer wouldn't do much unless the user is hosting the game. That stuff has been able to be circumvented (Look up some of Popisfizzy's recent posts here on the forum) in a decent manner.

The fact that packet editing or abusing delay could do /anything/ good in your game is a sign of poor design, and might require some rethinking.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
hmm, it would help tremendosely if the RSC was compiled in such a way that the icons were smooshed together in some way that while a computer can read it easily a person would have to commit way to much time to splitting it up. An rsc needs to be compiled the way source code is, remove all the human element from it, Besides why cant they make it so icons that are compiled cannot be accessed in anything other than dreamseeker? i mean they dont have a way for me to convert 4.0 icons to 3.55 so why the hell cant they make it so its not so damn simple to open icons from a resource file.
I think we've gotten all we're going to out of this thread, and it's getting a little too heated. Closed!
This topic has been brought up before. For the record, I agree with the people who would like better security on their creations.

That said, this is not a trivial proposition and would require disabling a few features within the language that require access to the .rsc. I have given it some thought and have one scheme that would at least be challenging to decrypt. At the moment we are quite busy trying to stabilize 4.0, though, so we'd like to at least jump that hurdle before even considering something that would likely cause more issues.

Ultimately, as others have mentioned, people who want the resources will get them. As wary as I am about "policing" the hub, I acknowledge that we need to do a better job protecting original creations. We have a few ideas on the backburner in regards to that, as well.
Page: 1 2 3