ID:260525

Apparently, DM doesn't let you set macros for shift. Alot of new changes have been made lately. I'm wondering if this button could be alternated in the next update as well.

I'm running a game where "strafing" is in the numpad. But laptop users(including myself), don't have numpad. So laptop users were to use the keys "/" and "shift" since they were nearest to the arrow keys and both most easily and reasonably reached. Any other combo for staffing would be terrible for laptops.

Anyway, I thought I'd try my luck *shrugs*.
Hulio-G wrote:
Apparently, DM doesn't let you set macros for shift. Alot of new changes have been made lately. I'm wondering if this button could be alternated in the next update as well.

Not as easily. We still treat Shift, Ctrl, and Alt as modifiers to macros rather than macroable keys themselves.

I'm running a game where "strafing" is in the numpad. But laptop users(including myself), don't have numpad. So laptop users were to use the keys "/" and "shift" since they were nearest to the arrow keys and both most easily and reasonably reached. Any other combo for staffing would be terrible for laptops.

I had an idea on this a while back that you may find useful. I was thinking that in a combat game, Ctrl+arrows would be useful to shoot and Shift+arrows would strafe--moving without changing direction, and shooting at the same time.

In SotS II I've implemented the Ctrl+arrows movement but not strafing. You may find this method more useful in your game.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Not as easily. We still treat Shift, Ctrl, and Alt as modifiers to macros rather than macroable keys themselves.

I had an idea on this a while back that you may find useful. I was thinking that in a combat game, Ctrl+arrows would be useful to shoot and Shift+arrows would strafe--moving without changing direction, and shooting at the same time.

In SotS II I've implemented the Ctrl+arrows movement but not strafing. You may find this method more useful in your game.

Lummox JR

Interesting, I attempted to visualize what you were telling me and branched off into other solutions,

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Unfortunately, I use W/A/S/D keys to swing the sword in 4 different motions. I figured I could swap the wasd keys into ctrl + arrow keys. Then alt + arrow keys for strafing and swinging at the same time but that wouldn't work since theres 4 different motions instead of one. It would just be insane, lol.

Solution:
Strafing for laptops, I've found shift + left and up is most comfortable. Despite the fact that it just looks "ugly" and that if you use the "right hand shift" your ring finger is kind of large and not ment to be up higher then the middle finger. You can get used to that or you can use the "left hand shift" which is closer to the combatant keys but it feels good as well.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Hulio-G wrote:

Couldn't you provide a selection list in the macro-creator which lets you select primary keys in addition to the key-finder, and then just have an internal setting to ignore, for example, Ctrl+F type macros if Ctrl is used on its own?