ID:260769

Or something. When you try to take a screenshot in programs like Windows Media Player, all you get back is a black screen where the movie is supposed to be.

Is something like that available for DirectX? It would be handy in cases where you want to show something to the player, and then hide it, without them being able to retrieve the information through a screenshot. (Then you can give players the ability to actually record the information.)

Note that I am only wondering if it's possible to do this in DirectX. If it's implemented, I might make use of it in order to give said ability, but it's not as if it's needed asap by anyone. (Plus this idea might shut the people up who are afraid of icon ripping.)
prt scr

It doesn't matter what the program allows, you can always take screenshots.
In response to Foomer
Have you ever tried using PrtSc on WMP. It makes for some glitchy ass photos. In fact, if you move the picture around, whether it be after you've saved it and loaded it into another program, or immediately after you've pasted it, it will act like a transparent layer over top of any WMP video playing, surrounded by a black background.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Turn hardware acceleration all the way down then try it. I can take pictures of WMP fine that way.
In response to Foomer
Actually, print screen doesn't work on most media players (at least with standard settings). Instead, when you paste into your image program, you'll just get a dark (but not pure black) square.

It's actually pretty interesting, once you paste into paint, for instance, the video will show up *in paint* and you can draw all over the screen.

It has something to do with videos playing on a different "level" or somesuch.
Android Data wrote:
Note that I am only wondering if it's possible to do this in DirectX. If it's implemented, I might make use of it in order to give said ability, but it's not as if it's needed asap by anyone. (Plus this idea might shut the people up who are afraid of icon ripping.)

Of course if I wanted to rip icons via print screen, couldn't I always set it to render with OpenGL?
In response to Kuraudo
Or turn off hardware acceleration entirely.