ID:260812

I don't know how it would be implemented, but I'm asking for it to be opened for discussion: theming skins.

Right now, you can only pick a background image and that's pretty much it. How about some kind of theme option, which allows you to make all the different parts of a window?

The theme option would allow for additional things. For instance, you could make your own titlebar very easily. You could also make your own statusbar, but specifically since the theme is appended onto the existing window it'll be possible to properly resize the window without a silly border around it.

Windows XP already allows you to make customizations to the theme. How about we get to be able to upload images for the different parts: one image for the top-left corner of the titlebar, one image for the horizontal bit of the titlebar (it repeats), one image for the _ icon, one image for the maximize button, one for the close button/top-right corner, etc.
Android Data wrote:
Windows XP already allows you to make customizations to the theme.

The problem I foresee is the amount of legacy operating systems BYOND supports. For example, Windows 98, 2000 and ME. It's a safe bet that if XP allows this to be done easily, that Vista and Windows 7 would probably keep that same ease of use. Unfortunately, (and it's been a very long time, so I'm not sure), I'd doubt the code would be that easy to implement for the legacy operating systems.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
The problem I foresee [...]

Why would it actually be a problem? In the uncommon event that players are playing the game in such an old OS, then they just won't have the custom theme. Problem solved. =P
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
The problem I foresee is the amount of legacy operating systems BYOND supports.

Then quit supporting it. Microsoft certainly isn't, and XP is so darn old that even the oldest of computers you're going to find in homes will run it.
In response to Android Data
XP is the only good OS nowadays. Those people using Wine make me wonder - if you dislike Windows so much, why are you wasting even more resources trying to emulate it?
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
XP is the only good OS nowadays.

Windows 7 is pretty cool too!

Those people using Wine make me wonder - if you dislike Windows so much, why are you wasting even more resources trying to emulate it?

Because most applications are made for Windows, and there is no fair choice between the other operating systems.

Either you get Windows, or you get Windows. There is no alternative. A Mac barely has any games (and isn't even regarded high by gamers) and a Linux machine relies mostly on WINE to run games.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
Tiberath wrote:
The problem I foresee is the amount of legacy operating systems BYOND supports.

Then quit supporting it.

Yes. Windows 98 is still dragging BYOND down by lacking certain features, so if you drop everything below XP, BYOND will have much more options. Also, anyone running an OS below XP has either problems with change, or shouldn't be paying for internet access.
Android Data wrote:
Windows XP already allows you to make customizations to the theme. How about we get to be able to upload images for the different parts: one image for the top-left corner of the titlebar, one image for the horizontal bit of the titlebar (it repeats), one image for the _ icon, one image for the maximize button, one for the close button/top-right corner, etc.

Windows XP technically doesn't allow theme customization--not by third parties. Why they locked that down I'll never know, but Microsoft decided to keep their theme code proprietary so programs that do themes on XP are basically using a hack to do it. I don't know if Vista (or Windows 7) rectifies this situation or not.

This is probably a similar issue to the whole problem of trying to allow custom-colored scrollbars. Windows makes this kind of thing considerably more difficult than it has any right to be.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I don't know the what, how and why, but as, admittedly, other programs can, why not Dream Seeker as well? Even if that'd be by what is considered a hack, since there seems to be no other option.
In response to Kaioken
<!--[if lt IE 8]><link href='/rsc/ie_really_sucks.css' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'/><![endif]-->
<!--[if lt IE 7]><link href='/rsc/ie6_really_sucks.css' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'/><![endif]-->

Yeah, they're already doing it for IE support.