ID:260819

Right. So I'm thinking "I want to send an XML file to the users' cache, and this file is frequently updated."

So I'm all like, "oh I'll just use the browse proc and use display=0;file=blah.xml" to send the file out.

But nooooo! The implementation to get that bastard child IE working with PNG files is in the way. And there's no way for me to get rid of it.

<!--[if lt IE 7.]gt;
<script defer type=text/javascript src=pngfix.jsgt;</scriptgt;
<![endif]--gt;
<rootgt;
<record Type="Test" Subtype="Test" Who="Android Data" What="Banned some guy" Target="Android Lore" /gt;
<record Type="Test" Subtype="Test" Who="Android Data" What="Banned some guy" Target="Android B-4" /gt;
</root>

I'm sorry, but this just pisses me off. Why can't IE behave like all the other browsers? Why does it have to be so backwards that crap has to be inserted into everything I output just to get it to work in IE? If IE behaved in the first place, that bit of text wouldn't be in there. I don't even have IE6 (who DOES?)!

Anyway, could this be changed? A parameter to send along to stop the insertion of this workaround? Is the workaround even needed? (Come on! Who uses IE6 anymore, besides companies and schools?)

EDIT: And before you ask, yes, I did try making a default browser element and disabling its auto format. No go. I even tried making a non-default browser element, disabling its auto format.
This is strange because:

1) The default browser ctrl's autoformat _should_ be used for browse() output.

2) Unless you have IE 6 on your machine, it shouldn't be inserting this stuff at all.

At any rate, you are probably correct that IE 6 is legacy enough that it's not worth "supporting" in this manner (since it only resolves a graphical glitch anyway). I'll test these two scenarios first and consider pulling it.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
This is strange because:

1) The default browser ctrl's autoformat _should_ be used for browse() output.

2) Unless you have IE 6 on your machine, it shouldn't be inserting this stuff at all.

I confirmed that both of these are working as expected. I even confirmed that it only inserts on a machine with IE 6, by testing on machines with ad without IE 6 installed. I did find a place in the code where it was assuming you had a file called 'shdocvw.dll' (used to determine the IE version); perhaps on Vista or Windows 7 this isn't present. I now have it set to ignore the formatting if this file is missing (instead of assuming the opposite).

I don't know why #1 isn't working for you. Setting a default browser's autoformat to false suppressed the formatting in all cases.

For now, I'm going to keep the autoformatting in, but have it further validate the file for inclusion of a PNG. That, along with the aforementioned change when it can't determine the version (via shdocvw.dll) should hopefully fix the problem.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
I don't know why #1 isn't working for you. Setting a default browser's autoformat to false suppressed the formatting in all cases.

Odd. In my case, it didn't work. Perhaps this is caused by the use of the display=0 parameter or file=myxmlfile.xml parameter in my project.

For now, I'm going to keep the autoformatting in, but have it further validate the file for inclusion of a PNG. That, along with the aforementioned change when it can't determine the version (via shdocvw.dll) should hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks! I thought I was going to have to wait at least the whole weekend for this problem to be resolved. Glad it could be fixed as quick as it did. :)
People are getting errors on my server with Javascript. The reason is because I instructed my script to look for a specific XML file, parse it, and display it in a nice table.

My request is pretty simple: a wait parameter for the browse element. Default is 0 to maintain backwards compatibility.

When set to 1, the proc does not execute further until the file has been successfully received by the client. That way, I can hold the presses whilst sending the XML file.

Is this possible?