ID:265335

The game is coming along very slowly, and school doesn't help, but tell me what you think about the storyline for the game.

1000 years after the Earth was destroyed, people started ariving on an unknown galaxy to humans. It consists of 6 planets, and 1 sun.(I have know idea what to name the planets, I never put thought into it.) Humans examined the planets before landing on them, and it appears that only 4 of the 6 planets are livable on, but here's how they work.

Sun:
Extremely deadly heat, gravity will pull your ship toward it if too close. No oxygen at all.

Planet 1:
Cool climate, but bareable to humans. Enough plant life for oxygen, and most of the planet is unlivable on. Gravity is less than Earth's, so you can move faster.

Planet 2:
Very hot climate, but bareable to humans. A lot of plant life, and around the same amount of gravity as the earth. Very good planet to build up recorces to explore and conquer others.

Planet 3:
Too cold for humans to examine or live on. It is said that this planet is safe in 1 area, but it's only a roumor.

Planet 4:
Lots of rain and plant life on this planet, meaning many metals are not on this planet, so it's dangerous to be on this planet for a long time. Tornadoes and hurricanes are very likely however.

Planet 5:
Gravity is almost unbarable by humans, and barely anything but deserts and trees are on this planet.

Planet 6:
This planet is like earth, only 1 side of it is unlivable on, the othersides are earth-like and good to live on.

Your goal is to conquer all 6 planets, ally with other clans to help you do so. The way I planned out the RTS though may be laggy, so I have to think of more ways.

Thank you for reading if you read and relplied
I'm a little confused here. How do you conquer a planet you cannot live on, and why would you want to conquer it? The only reason I could see anyone doing that is maybe...orbital turrets or something?

Anyways, the storyline sounds neat other then the whole "conquer all six planets, including the ones that are completely useless"

~Chance
In response to Chance777
Chance777 wrote:
I'm a little confused here. How do you conquer a planet you cannot live on, and why would you want to conquer it? The only reason I could see anyone doing that is maybe...orbital turrets or something?

Anyways, the storyline sounds neat other then the whole "conquer all six planets, including the ones that are completely useless"

Humans cannot live in space. Yet there are humans living in space. Meditate on this, grasshopper, and you will recieve enlightenment.
1000 years after the Earth was destroyed, people started ariving on an unknown galaxy to humans. It consists of 6 planets, and 1 sun

Not to nitpick (except for the fact that I'm nitpicking), but this would make it a star system (what is often somewhat erroneously referred to as "a solar system"... ours is the solar system because it revolves around Sol), not a galaxy.

(I have know idea what to name the planets, I never put thought into it.)

Don't! Let the conqueror name them. That gives you an extra-palpable incentive for conquering them. As an added cachet, make it so that somehow conquering the sun changes the name of the system.
Sounds like Star Traders.
Planet 1:
Cool climate, but bareable to humans. Enough plant life for oxygen, and most of the planet is unlivable on. Gravity is less than Earth's, so you can move faster.

Planet 2:
Very hot climate, but bareable to humans. A lot of plant life, and around the same amount of gravity as the earth. Very good planet to build up recorces to explore and conquer others.

It just seems illogical that these planets can be in this order extending outward from the sun. How can the first planet(the closest planet) be cool, and the second planet that is further away be hot. If this is meant to be so explain why. The greenhouse effect for example.
In response to Vermolius
I have to agree there.

Here's a great webpage on that topic. If you suck at math, you won't understand the formulas as Dangermouse works through them, but once you get to the end you find a simple worked-out equation which you can just plug values into. If you don't suck at math, then definitely read the whole thing; it's good edumacation.
In response to Spuzzum
edumacation... heh
In response to Vermolius
If I recall correctly, Venus is hotter than Mercury. For that very reason you mentioned though, as its atmosphere is more suited to exaggerate the greenhouse effect.

The makup of the planet itself, not just its atmosphere, can have an effect as well. The rate of movement around its axis as well, as part of the planet will be warmer during its daytime if it sees the sun longer (like Mercury, whose day is about as long as its year).

It's a bit farther fetched, but perhaps the warmer planet has a significantly higher proportion of radioactive material.

In one of my scientific magazines (Scientific American, I think it was) there was an article in which an extensive study was done to determine how well Earth would retain life if its orbit was greatly altered. The study assumed a less circular orbit though, with the Earth continually sweeping back in closer to the sun for part of its year. According to this study, the water would radiate the heat gathered for quite some time and, if we all congregated to the right spots and prepared heavily, allow us to survive even were the orbit to ascend out past several planets. I will have to look through all the issues I still have and see if I can find that article. This paragraph here was not directly related to the argument, no; but it is still interesting.
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Chance777 wrote:

Humans cannot live in space. Yet there are humans living in space. Meditate on this, grasshopper, and you will recieve enlightenment.

I think you need more to go on. The planet ideas need work (a good balance of raw materials and there worth) but why here? Maybe crash land on one? Conquer? Conquer what? Are there other life forms? If there are various factions (players) trying for control, why would I not go to the best planet (back to balance of materials)

I take it this would be a resource management RTS? you would have to make it so that if you take planet A and I take planet B then you won't have a major advantage over me, or then what's the use?

Maybe 1 planet promotes more population growth, another has more metal resources. One planet will produce more people, therefor a bigger army, the other planet may be able to make more machines... something like that...

Where it goes from there is up to you.
In response to Jik
Maybe he could tell us the resources on the planets?
In response to Hell Ramen
Perhaps what is of our solar system and knowledge only pertains to, well, our solar system and knowledge. Perhaps this star is not even hydrogen/helium but oxygen/carbon and was truely a ball of fire? With the sun, ours is about average compared to other stars. Perhaps this star radiates light at a particular frequency and wavelength so that it is ineffective within a certain range.

Plant-wise, there could be a multitude of unknown elements that make up these planets or their atmospheres and make it possible for them to be as they are. There could be an ice planet 3 feet away from a star and still be ice since the atmosphere is made of the gaseous state of BYONDium Isotope-54 which is released when the light comes in contact with BYONDium Isotope-10 (solid state of course) that makes up 76.78% of the whole planet. Or the light is reflected 100%by its BYoxygen surface. And for that 1/2 desolate earth planet, it could have a certain axis and rotation so that its uninhabitable side has never been directed towards the sun.
In response to EGUY
Plant-wise, there could be a multitude of unknown elements that make up these planets or their atmospheres and make it possible for them to be as they are.

Not really, not outside of fantasy (not science fiction, but fantasy.) :P Elements only form in certain patterns... things which would break those patterns simply aren't stable enough to exist, which is why we were able to set up the periodic table of them and even predict what would fill in the gaps of elements we hadn't discovered yet.

Of course, if he's making a game of space fantasy rather than hard science fiction, no explanation is necessary. :P
In response to Hedgemistress
Naming your own planets sounds cool, but it doesn't seem logical to take over the sun. Can you imagine your higher up ordering you to go take over the sun, you'd think he was emporer Nero reincarnated. Maybe you name the sun after you contol the system, but then you'd need more than one system. There goes the inital storyline...Or perhaps you get to name the sun after you control the three closest to it. But then the other guy has three other planets, no sun, and still just as powerful.
I don't remember which ones are livable and unlivable, another problem that someone in this thread mentioned, why would I want a planet that can't sustain life? Unless you build colonies on them with their own encompassing eco-system, but then this would make the planet more costly and hazardous to live on. So the wars would more likely be waged over the more important planets. Like the one that is more hot than usual but is a good place for raising your army...wouldn't everyone want that planet? If that's the case than no two players can start the game equally. The only way to counter this without changing how you set up your planets would be to give the lesser starting planet another material advantage not offered by the other one. But I think this has probably been covered on this thread...
In response to Rockinawsome
I'd say you could conquer the star by building some sort of orbital defense system around it, and perhaps use it as some sort of high-energy power system. As for the planets, perhaps the unihabitable (although, he DID hint that there may be a PART that is habitable) ice planet may contain some extremely rare element that exists almost exclusively on that planet (think Spice from Dune) -- you might spend a lot of resources conquering it, but you could rest assure that you were mining something worth far more. Or perhaps the ice planet may be graveyard of some ancient race, which was wiped out by the cataclysmic climate change, but left behind all manner of useful technology. As for the other planets, they may be rich in certain resources, but poor in others, so the planets that you conquer would define how you build your fleet and armies. For instance, you may conquer the plant-filled world, so that you have a nearly endless food supply but lacking in metal, and the desert world, which may be rich in metals and minerals but would be nearly void of food and water.
In response to Igmolicious
Except, why would you but orbital defences around the sun?
In response to Draxxis
To protect your solar power plants, of course :)

(Although, I'm guessing they'd be something other that SOLar... hmmm...)
In response to Igmolicious
And your orbital defences would have to block out the sun in order to...Yeah, hehe, it's just too rediculous...
In response to Draxxis
Not really. There is plenty of surface space to most stars, so defenses would only take up a fraction of what it.
In response to Draxxis
Actually, surrounding the sun by a massive ball-shaped mirror would be very cool, and would also strike doom for every nation on every planet.

Remember, machines work differently on different planets.
Machines that rely on their own weight to work won't work so well on an asteroid or moon, but ones that involve lifting other things through use of motors/power, etc. would be very efficient and work very well.

An ice planet 5 feet from the sun would be heated up by heat radiation, not just light.
Plus, the solar winds would push any atmosphere or particles off it for millions of miles.
I think the moral of this story is not to build a house 5 feet from the sun.
Page: 1 2 3