ID:266002

Just like the title says, I'm looking for some criticism for this interface design I've been working on for a little while. i haven't messed with the colors or made it all pretty looking yet with Photoshop and such as this is just an alpha design, but I'd like some feedback on it before I go any further. Thanks much!
Personally I'd remove browser, and simply make button to see Patch Notes in popup.
Then merge Inventory, Equipment, Spells, Recipes with Stat Panel, and move it to the right.
Then merge chat and bottom output, move it to the right too.
Buttons in bottom left could be moved nearer to each other, then moved to the right.
Right side would contain 10% buttons, 50% stat panel, 40% chat/output (or around that).
Menu only has "File" (bit useless) so I'd remove it too.

If you wonder why - I prefer high visibility range.
Same as Ripiz in some aspects.

########## Ensure the client screen can fit on a 1048x640 (or w.e that is) screen. its a common screen size and its probably a good idea to cater to that size mainly. unless ofcourse you put a disclaimer warning people.. If you dont you WILL get people complaining that things are getting cut off.

# Remove Browser and replace with a popup of some form. or better yet send them to your forums or site

# Keep inventory where it is and possible add "Categories" to them so people can view just arrows, pants etc. (mine has Fish, Equipment, and consumables, then general such as crafting)

# Possibly replace the perma equipment thing with a popup or let it change out a pane when you click a button no real need to see it the entire time. but hey thats just me

# Change who, afk and guide to the menu bar.

# Tighten the buttons. spaced out buttons arnt nice

# Im going to assume the bottom black thing is for annoucements of events and such so thats fine.

# Edit your "Map" properties to encompass the proper size in tiles of your game view.. black bits are.. ugh
P.s. 544x544 gives you a clean 8 by 8 view with one tile each way where your character stands. also make sure stretching is off.

## This is just me. but i despise merging of inventory in stat panel. its horrible imo.

== Nice hp and mp bar and exp :D

In response to Midgetbuster
Midgetbuster wrote:

########## Ensure the client screen can fit on a 1048x640 (or w.e that is) screen. its a common screen size and its probably a good idea to cater to that size mainly. unless ofcourse you put a disclaimer warning people.. If you dont you WILL get people complaining that things are getting cut off.

The native size is 1048x768. Mine's just fullscreened.

# Remove Browser and replace with a popup of some form. or better yet send them to your forums or site

The browser is also used to output the player guide as well as when players check items, the information is sent there.

# Keep inventory where it is and possible add "Categories" to them so people can view just arrows, pants etc. (mine has Fish, Equipment, and consumables, then general such as crafting)

I was thinking about adding a filter option. Possibly later on after I make sure the damn thing isn't breakable lol.

# Possibly replace the perma equipment thing with a popup or let it change out a pane when you click a button no real need to see it the entire time. but hey thats just me

It was requested by alot of my players to be able to have equipement visible. Besides there's nothing else I can think to put there anyway besides stretching the inventory more.

# Change who, afk and guide to the menu bar.

There's a thought.

# Tighten the buttons. spaced out buttons arnt nice

I really don't like having a crap ton of em down there, I just haven't figured out what else to do with em.

# Im going to assume the bottom black thing is for annoucements of events and such so thats fine.

Right. Generic world and battle spam. Another request to have those separate.

# Edit your "Map" properties to encompass the proper size in tiles of your game view.. black bits are.. ugh
P.s. 544x544 gives you a clean 8 by 8 view with one tile each way where your character stands. also make sure stretching is off.

I'll have to mess with it.

## This is just me. but i despise merging of inventory in stat panel. its horrible imo.

== Nice hp and mp bar and exp :D

Agreed and thanks.
You have too many panels, the screen size doesn't fit any standard resolution, and most importantly your map isn't positioned correctly.

1. Remove the Stat() panel. Some of that information is already on your HUD, but most of it isn't needed at all times. For the information you don't need in the middle of a battle (ie: character class, guild, etc) use a character sheet.
2. Patch notes are best posted on a forum or blog somewhere, they don't actually need to be read within the actual game. They especially don't need a dedicated panel used to read them at all times. Remove that panel entirely and slide everything below it up.
3. The equipment panel does not need its own dedicated spot on the interface, it should be a tab just like Inventory, Spells, and Recipes. You could also fold the equipment tab and the character stats into a character sheet as I mentioned above.
4. Who, AFK, Sense, all those buttons should be a part of the HUD. As they are now they're taking up too much space and look rather tacky. The way you have the buttons and that stamina bar positioned it almost looks like they were designed to be on the bottom left of the HUD.
5. The output panel can be moved to the right side of the screen taking up the space the inventory panel once filled.

When it's all done it should looks something like this.
If I'm playing a game, I'd like to be able to focus on the game - not the 7 things surrounding it.
There's definitely way too many separate parts visible at once. As others have noted, the browser can be separated to a popup without losing too much, unless it's got some sort of important purpose past the patch notes.

There's a lot of dead space between the buttons on the right side and the bottom left area too, that could be compressed (and look into getting graphics for those buttons and possibly a simple tiling background for the whole window, the windows defaults are kinda boring.)

The statpanel seems a bit out of place, especially since all I see there are stats (can be a grid) and Admin/GM verbs that aren't going to be a concern to most of your players.

The chat input needs to be better defined, give it a border at least, and possibly shrink it a pixel or two vertically to get it away from touching the output. I'd almost prefer to see it below that chat output box too, as it's more expected for the input to be at the bottom.

As a side note on resolution: Make sure you note on your hub or somewhere prominent the expected resolution. I've seen a decent amount of people trying to play BYOND games on a netbook and complaining that stuff gets cut off on their strange resolutions. (Frequently 1024x600, causing stuff to end up cut off vertically.) It's a small enough amount of people I wouldn't worry too much about supporting them in the default skin, however.
In response to Destroy
Ok, based on some of the suggestions made as well as my own intentions for the design, I've redone the interface. I must admit, it is alot better now than it was, but I'd love to hear some more criticism.

Note that the character button isn't there yet since I'm designing a separate window for it. It'll be a little special compared to just changing the grid.

Rarely used verbs have been placed in the menu bar, as well as the moderator commands, which are disabled for non-mods. Everything else is accessed via right click, click, or the general interface.
In response to Pyro_dragons
Pyro_dragons wrote:
Ok, based on some of the suggestions made as well as my own intentions for the design, I've redone the interface. I must admit, it is alot better now than it was, but I'd love to hear some more criticism.

Note that the character button isn't there yet since I'm designing a separate window for it. It'll be a little special compared to just changing the grid.

Rarely used verbs have been placed in the menu bar, as well as the moderator commands, which are disabled for non-mods. Everything else is accessed via right click, click, or the general interface.

I think you should get rid of the patch notes pane and give access to the Patch Notes as a menu item under Game in the top menu(make a pop-up window, since Patch Notes isn't something every gamer would be interested in. That would give more space for the Grid or output pane.
Just curious:
By the way what are the different outputs specifically for?(Game messages and Chat?)
What does the Gold button do?
What does the Say button do? Since the input takes care of the function of Say.
Are there specific reasons that your game needs the status bar at the bottom? i.e. Seeing a players name with mouse hover? If players never need it, the interface may look cleaner without it.

[Edit] If your on-map interface items have a specific color theme, try matching the colors of the off-map interface items to them(Grids, button colors, font, background colors, etc.)
In response to KetchupKid
KetchupKid wrote:
I think you should get rid of the patch notes pane and give access to the Patch Notes as a menu item under Game in the top menu(make a pop-up window, since Patch Notes isn't something every gamer would be interested in. That would give more space for the Grid or output pane.

It's not just for patch notes, thats just whats there upon login. It's also used for showing level up stat bonuses as well as the stats on items when you check them.

Just curious:
By the way what are the different outputs specifically for?(Game messages and Chat?)
Yea, exactly. I was asked to keep those separate by much of my player base. All the battle spam and stuff goes there too.

What does the Gold button do?
Drop gold.

What does the Say button do? Since the input takes care of the function of Say.
Switches the output between say and world say.

Are there specific reasons that your game needs the status bar at the bottom? i.e. Seeing a players name with mouse hover? If players never need it, the interface may look cleaner without it.
Nah, I just kinda left it there. May take it off later.

[Edit] If your on-map interface items have a specific color theme, try matching the colors of the off-map interface items to them(Grids, button colors, font, background colors, etc.)

I haven't given it a color or a theme yet since I'm still scoping out a design. I'd rather have it set to a form first before I make it look all pretty and end up having to change it all.
In response to Pyro_dragons
I still think patch notes should be in the menu.
If its for your level stats and such, it should begin and stay that way. It'll look more professional if the patch notes have a dedicated window that fits everything you need without scrolling.

Maybe the drop gold should be on the on-screen interface?

Good luck with it, its coming along.