ID:2705248

(See the best response by Lummox JR.)
What operating system and/or browser are you using?
I'm using Windows 10 and google chrome.
What were you trying to do when the problem occurred?
I was just trying to open the program. I made sure to close all other aps/clients at the time.
What actually happened, and how did it differ from what you expected?
Well, I downloaded the newest version of the Byond program multiple times, and regardless of what I've done, it will not open.

What steps did you follow?
I went to various forum posts and etc for help and tried every little thing I could. Here are all the solutions I've tried that seemed relevant to my problem. I made sure to not have a program named Sonic Studio 3 installed. I went into MyDocuments/BYOND/cfg folder and deleted the pager file and even tried fixing the line in said pager document but the only thing that shows is hubsearch_version 11. My pager file reads in Notepad and not OneDrive.

I went into my C:drive/ProgramFilesx86/BYOND folder and uninstalled it directly from the source inside of the folder, as well as made sure to delete the folder as a whole afterward, but after re-installing nothing worked. I checked my firewall but it wasn't blocking the program from opening although BYOND or Dreamseeker didn't even show on the list of programs as an option to add or remove from firewall protection.

I checked my taskbars ^ symbol and BYOND wasn't open there. Also while in my cfg folder from MyDocuments I also deleted the localhub file. While doing all of this I made sure to end task on BYOND (32 bit) and then attempt to reopen it after each step. To no avail nothing has worked.

From what I gather its the Pager is the issue but if someone else has any ideas then please let me know. Thanks for reading this rant and if this post needs to be moved to a proper forum then please do so without my behalf.
Best response
RedExorcist wrote:
My pager file reads in Notepad and not OneDrive.

The issue with OneDrive is not where the pager.txt file opens, but if the Documents folder is being hosted in OneDrive or if it's locally on your system. For some reason BYOND can't function properly when your documents folder is in OneDrive.

One thing I would suggest trying is this:

1) Make a new directory C:\BYOND.
2) Open the registry editor (type "regedit" in the start menu).
3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dantom\BYOND.
4) Change the "userpath" value to the path you created.
So when you say change the “userpath” value to the path I created. You mean change it to the directory C:\BYOND that you suggested I create right?
In response to RedExorcist
Yep!
So I just barely got to this today. How do I change the userpath value to the path I created? https://imgur.com/a/gY2qxX7
So here is what I assumed I needed to do. If you look under data column in the imgur picture I sent then youll see what I mean. https://imgur.com/a/1umCx8n
In response to RedExorcist
Double-click that "userpath" entry and change its value to the path you want. Press "Ok" and you should be good to go!
Nevermind it works. Thank you so much @Lummox JR and Spevacus for helping me out. I really do appreciate the feedback. You have no idea how long I was searching through forums for ideas on how to fix this. Y'all are freaking amazing!!!
Glad it worked out for ya! Happy playing!
I got the same problem. I copied my documents folder over to a C:\BYOND, changed the directory in regedit and it's doing the same thing. Did I do something wrong?
In response to Batman7010
You're not supposed to copy anything here. The C:\BYOND directory should be new. It might be possible to copy any flies later if need be, but if this is a new BYOND installation you shouldn't have anything you need to copy.

If you just did a straight copy of the directory, you probably also copied whatever permissions were the cause of your problem. So I would say delete that C:\BYOND directory and remake it from scratch.
Thank you. I'll try that.
Didn't work, same problem.
It bleeping worked.
In response to Lummox JR
Apologies to bring this up again a year later (if you see it) But I tried this and it is not working. my theory is that I made the directory wrong. could you explain how to make the new C:\BYOND directory?
Running dreamdaemon first worked for me
Can someone please tell me step by step how to do this? I am not tech savey
you cannot make a folder called C:/BYOND. Windows doesnt allow symbols like / and : in folder names. Unless I'm doing something wrong, this doesnt help.
In response to Antoio12
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but at least it might help someone else reading this.

You aren't supposed to name the folder "C:/BYOND", the "C:" means the file you are supposed to make should be located in the "C:" folder on your computer. Once there, make a new folder, and name it "BYOND". Then delete the previous BYOND in the onedrive documents folder.