ID:2745457

Two steps forward, one step back is the order of the week. Although now that I think about it, one step back would probably mean there was some horrible bug and I had to back out a bunch of changes, which actually isn't the case here for a change. Yay? So maybe it's more a case of two baby steps forward, no steps back. Anyway it's been a weird week. Suffice it to say there were some lost days in there, yesterday in particular, which is always distressing to me before a news day.

Most of my work this week has been 515-related, or dealt with the cleanup I'm doing in 515 that will pave the way for future stuff. Wednesday I mainly did the client-side version of the cleanup I was doing to coordinate-based functions, which previously I'd done on the server. The idea here is that in the future when I'm ready to consider Z linking, hopefully there will be a lot fewer obstacles in the way and I can call a few easy functions to facilitate most of the work. There's more to do on the client but I feel that was time well spent for a lot of reasons, since it also got me into some other cleanup and I saw more opportunities to improve the code.

There are some more new procs for 515, mainly isinf() and isnan() for testing numbers. (I've looked over some options for improving number output as well.) To be honest I'm also strongly considering some built-ins for handling distance as well, since that's such a common thing; anything I can do to optimize server-side procs seems really sensible. And I forget if I mentioned having a stat-like proc before the map tick that would be called if defined, but I think that makes a world of good sense for games that need to sync up mouse foo before a map update.

In the Patreon Discord I've been looking to brainstorm some features since one of the requests high on my list for 515 is built-in procedural noise procs, and possibly the addition of filters that would render noise as well, which would be useful for things like fake water caustics, clouds, etc.

So the notes are pretty short this week, but that's the kind of week it's been. I had some administrative stuff to handle and then got struck with a mini-flare that's hindered me a bit.

Thanks so much to all of you who helped support BYOND in November. Your help is really appreciated. For everyone else looking to give back and keep this project alive, you not only can do Membership and donations directly, but you can use Patreon or SubscribeStar if you'd prefer.

December is underway and now it's time to get shopping done, so I suspect I'll be doing a lot of that this weekend—but online. Hopefully I'll be back up to my usual 90% next week
Lummox JR wrote:
In the Patreon Discord I've been looking to brainstorm some features since one of the requests high on my list for 515 is built-in procedural noise procs