ID:2751139

We're now officially just one week from Christmas Eve, and counting down for the year. I see way too much grass out the window.

It's been a mixed week between patching up a bunch of 514 bug reports, looking at low-hanging 515 features, and getting out a new maintenance release. Apart from missing a minor issue in the release because it wasn't reported earlier, I think the new release is pretty solid.

That said, I've been trying to work with an issue Kumorii is having with extremely sluggish performance that only shows up when a world is hosted. In some ways it appears to be lag, but in others it looks more like the issue with the high-precision timer causing slippage again, so I'm trying to figure out what the heck could be going on. I haven't yet managed to reproduce this issue but I'm gonna keep at it.

One of the 515 features I got in this week was trimtext(), which was really overdue. But I'm looking to add more simple helper procs to make common operations a bit zippier.

I discovered an issue where the hub and site aren't behaving the same way regarding game listings, but it looks like that's not as quick a fix as I'd like. The site's behavior is better, but for the pager to do the same it has to get info from the hub. I think the solution I've planned out is the best way forward since it involves minimal changes to each piece involved, so I'll make a mini project out of that in the near future. The software part will be handled in the next 514 maintenance release, and should actually do something once the hub can give it better info.

The last day of the year for development is Thursday the 23rd, then it's break time until the 3rd of January. As usual I'll actually be around, but just not doing any code work unless a project strikes my fancy. With how things look right now, I'd like to get another maintenance release out early next week—no later than Tuesday if possible. If I can get to the bottom of Kumorii's issue and maybe improve the timer problem (if indeed that's what it is), I definitely want to do that.

December is often an iffy month for support, but the fundometer is looking pretty glum going into the holidays, so please consideer ransacking your couch cushions to support BYOND: as a Member, a direct donor, or through our other channels like Patreon or SubscribeStar. Your contributions are what keep the lights on.

Get those decorations up if you haven't already, bake those cookies, wrap those presents, because Christmas is nigh! This is the home stretch, people, so get in on the nice list while the getting's good. I'll see you next week!