Hostile Takeover

by Acebloke
Hostile Takeover
Place pieces carefully to capture the board
ID:2776545

Hi everyone, not the game you would have expected me to update today.

About 17 years ago I released "Hostile Takeover", which must have been soon after I left school (guess my age!). I did it around the same time as Exploder, but it did not get the same level of interest, and I don't blame people, Exploder is awesome.

However, while Babybloke3 was looking around at my old stuff, he was curious (he likes numbers) so I dug up the code, version 2 was in 2006, and the original was 2005 so that goes something to show how long and often it has been updated! Heh!

There is a bit of polish and a bit of extra options to future proof it.

Firstly, there is now the option of local multiplayer - so you no longer have to host and log in with a second account to play on your own or with a friend.

Secondly, players can now select a colour, including green and yellow that were planned but never included.

Graphics have been doubled and slightly renewed. Orthogonal only capture now has its own icon too when you click the diagonal capture icon.

Previously, numbers were generated randomly (it was a fairly quick game to make, and because Exploder was so much more successful, I never actually went as far as having a tileset), now there is a set tileset a bit like a scrabble board, where you get so many of each tile. These are set at 28 tiles per player, so you will get them all in a gameplay. This is set as the default, clicking on the new tile icon option will switch it to ??? which is the original random number tiles. Removing entries from lists after not using BYOND for so long probably took about 3 quarters of the time I dedicated today to updating it, embarrassingly.

Interface has been updated, so it will scale slightly for being fullscreen, it does the job but it isn't perfect - good enough for 2 hours of work with the other features.

Any updates of games in 2022, as well as my more common games on BYOND will be featured on a site I made a little while ago here: https://acebloke.wixsite.com/deremakemake

I have a discord server for any super dedicated supporters that is accessed through patreon here: https://www.patreon.com/Mikebloke . If you were a longtime supporter of me on BYOND, give me a message - I'm happy to let anyone in who have paid for BYOND subscriptions for my games in the past to get partial access to stuff I do now as a way of thanks, if anyone is interested.

You'll notice I do a mix of things now, including assembly coding, though it is sporadic.
Oh there is some sound effects too.