ID:27811

Keywords: cerulea
You say in Human, "This is a look from inside Cerulea."
[Outside Cerule, detainment cell guardroom]
Here is where the gate guards take breaks from their work. A scuffed table with a stick figure scratched into the top sits under an empty coat rack. On the west wall is a lone square window, its light nearly blocked by a giant cork carving of a duck perched on the sill.
You see a cork duck and a mirror.
Obvious exits: east.
Looking in the mirror...
You see Zilal the young female Human.
She has long legs; close-cropped brown hair; grey eyes and tanned skin.
She is tall for a Human, and fit.
She looks healthy.
Zilal is carrying nothing in her left hand and an etched walking stick in her right hand.
She is wearing a dirty white corlith shirt, some plain tan trousers, some shabby loden ankle-tie sandals and a black muslin cloak.
You pick at a mirror.
You raise your etched walking stick in the air.
That's five Cerulea posts and still no comments from Jtgibson. I think his pompoms are cheating on you with Newtopia.

That, or they're posing as Fry Guys.
Is the cork duck from the Great Cork Duck Race?
Hrm. I like it! I am not too thrilled about the "X is wearing blah, blah, and blah." format, though. I know it is more literary, but I think it is easier, less cluttered, and quicker to do a list of slots and the equipment name, such as:
"You see Bob the middle aged male Human.
He has fuzzy arms; thin brown hair; brown eyes and pasty skin.
He is average height for a Human, and pudgy.
He looks filthy.

Bob is wearing:
<main hand> a half empty beer
<head> a pretty, pretty tiara
<torso> a soiled undershirt
<waist> a spare tire
<lower body> torn boxer shorts
<feet> some blown out flip flops"

That way players can quickly see what someone has on. Otherwise it would be:
"Looking in the mirror...
You see Bob the middle aged male Human.
He has fuzzy arms; thin brown hair; brown eyes and pasty skin.
He is average height for a Human, and pudgy.
He looks filthy.
Bob is carrying nothing in his right hand and a half empty beet in his right hand.
She is wearing a pretty, pretty tiara, a soiled undershirt, a spare tire, torn boxer shorts and some blown out flip flops."
To me that looks kind of wordy and needs to be broken up.

But if the biggest nitpick I have is gear display, that ain't shabby!
I might try that. I picked up the basic display setup from GS, like so much other stuff... a lot of which I used because I didn't really realize that other games did it different ways.
Cerulea! Rah rah rah! C-E-R, U-L-E-A,
that is the way! It's Cerulea, Cerulea, Cerulea, yay!

I don't know if the meter shows through, but I'd be a little too embarrassed to record me singing it. Suffice it to say that it actually does sound like a cheerleader chant, though. ;-)
It's a totally random cork duck, my friend.

And I'm laughing at the Cerulea chant. I forget which game I was supposed to be the cheerleader for. (Slurpy? Where is Slurpy, anyway?)
I was playing around a little bit with Slurpy's code just the other day, actually, but I imagine the game is delegated to "indefinite hiatus", as Leftley puts it -- I may eventually get back to it, but there's certainly no timeframe involved.
Bob is wearing:
<main hand> a half empty beer
<head> a pretty, pretty tiara
<torso> a soiled undershirt
<waist> a spare tire
<lower body> torn boxer shorts
<feet> some blown out flip flops

Why did you even bother typing "Bob"? We all know you're talking about me. And don't think I'll forget it.
Oh, "incidentment" (or however the Frenchies say it), I like the whole wordy "You see a cat, a dog, two Cheetos, and a kitchen sink" sentence structure. Would it be a lot of work to have the wordy sentence as a default and offer Jmurph's preference as an option? For me, lots of carriage returns are the big killer in a game. I'm good enough at reading that I can pick out the important bits on short order, so all of those carriage returns in the "Jmurph Format" would do more harm than good to me. (I can pick out the important bits but certain GemStone III excerpts are excluded, such as that troll invasion you posted to your site...)
Not at all, I can totally make different display options. I may already have some set up in there; I'm not sure.

(The troll invasion thing is on this page at the bottom.)
Holy hell that log shows why stacking is so nice! "You also see a dirty ape thing, a dirty ape thing, etc." sucks so bad compared to "You see 3 dead ape things, 2 stunned ape things, and 43 ape things standing here."

Why do carriage returns bother you JT? I am curious. I agree a display toggle is an excellent solution.
I'm more of a "frequent glancer" when it comes to online information -- I tend to look back at things I've already read to absorb them a little more, so when it flows off the screen, I can't do that.

Plus, I like the grammar-based structure more, just in terms of roleplaying flow. Pure MUD format seems too out-of-character for me.
Ah, stacking, that's certainly something I could implement too.

I'm not really sure how much work will get done in this latest burst of enthusiasm... for now I've mostly been working on redoing the races and history, since a world with no story is uninteresting. And then I'll know what context everything else will be fitting into.