ID:278390

For whatever reason, ATP Host has gone down the toilet. My server kept getting shut down, and now I can't even access my panel. It just gives me a 403 forbidden page. I did notice they had a new website design though! Woohoo! Not... My $6.50 that I paid has now gone to waste for the month.

So does anyone know of any other QUALITY hosting service for a decent or cheap price? I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but the services keep changing, so I decided to ask in my own topic.
Although the download/upload speed isn't too incredible, I have a $14.00 server at http://www.buildyourvps.com.
I went with a :

1TB Bandwidth.
2GB Burst RAM (1GB Guaranteed).
CentOS 64-Bit (Upgraded to Debian 64-Bit for Free).
1 Dedicated IP Address.
10GB Disk Space.

It runs my projects and tests pretty well, and I haven't had an issue any bit. I personally updated everything, installed MySQL, PHP, Webmin web-panel, and Apache. I even went as far as to get a domain at both http://www.maxipad.tk and http://www.maxipad.co.nr, although I recommend .tk since .co.nr isn't as reliable and not as professional as Dot TK.

TOCICI -- the runner of BuildYourVPS -- pretty much follows under the policy of, "Your VPS is yours, and you can do what you want with it, just as long as you pay up." they also follow a "If you want guaranteed security, you can pay extra for that", although I just went with my own security.

For the price, it's pretty great. I wouldn't expect a lot out of it unless you paid more, but then you'll just be buying a VPS of the same quality as more expensive ones. At least BuildYourVPS offers package customization.

Oh, they also handle payments via PayPal, and it's set as automatic-monthly payment. So try to keep some money in your PayPal or Bank Account. I tend to never set up automatic payments of any sort, but in this case I like just making sure $14.00 is in my account and they handle the rest. I've had bad experiences with Airjoe not contacting me when payment was due, and PayPal charges fees for Donation/Gift, so I was paying more than $11.00 per month for ATP Host.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Can you describe to me the difference in the OS options? Why would you need a 64bit OS as opposed to a 32bit OS when the RAM is below 4GB? What is IPv6 compared to getting a dedicated IP? What types of security would one need?

If I do decide to go with BYVPS, I would need you to show me how to get set up.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Can you describe to me the difference in the OS options? Why would you need a 64bit OS as opposed to a 32bit OS when the RAM is below 4GB? What is IPv6 compared to getting a dedicated IP? What types of security would one need?

If I do decide to go with BYVPS, I would need you to show me how to get set up.

The difference in OS is pretty much preference. Some commands are different. The 64-Bit OS choice was because I do things other than BYOND Game hosting, so I prefer the ability to upgrade my RAM later on if need be. For now, I could just lower my bill by $1 and switch to 32-bit. Not exactly sure the differences between IPv6 and dedicated IP. I just know that IPv6 is newer or something. Security, mostly to prevent DDOS or other various attacks, and TOCICI will fix it for you versus if you got attacked, you'd have to do it on your own.
Once you order it, you'll receive roughly 4 e-mails indicating your account information and your VPS information. You'll also have a somewhat functioning Admin Panel, which only serves to change OS, Firewall, IP and DNS things. To get something like the ATP Host panel, you'll need a webpanel like Webmin (only reason I suggest Webmin is it is free).
Okay so I wouldn't need a 64bit OS haha. I guess I would go with CentOS 5 32bit. I would only need to install BYOND and Webmin? Is there any security I could put on it myself? I really don't want to pay $50 just for TOCICI to secure my VPS x.x

Why do they charge less for the bigger bandwidth options? 1 Terabit per month would be better than 1 Megabit per month, wouldn't it?
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/CIR.html It's a different type of "bandwidth" (aka the mb ones are real bandwidth and the other ones are data transfer limits)
In response to Sinfall
I'm afraid I still don't understand the difference :\
The 1 TB per month allows you to use a TB of data to be transferred per month. While the other plans transfer starting at 1 mb/s(the speed) with unlimited data transfer.
In response to Sinfall
Ohhh, I get it. But what would the speed be for each of the data transfer limit options? Less than the speed limit options? More than the speed limit options? Equal?
Who knows. The running assumption is data transfer options are burstable to higher speeds, but in practice it's hard to say either way.
I need your help on getting everything set up