ID:278509

So I was on facebook today and came across this post below. (And yeah ironically, I didn't even realize Dennis was dead heh.)

Just wanted to know what people thought about it.

--------------------------------------------------
"
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wall Photos
Without Steve Jobs (February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) we would have:
No iProducts
No over expensive laptops

Without Dennis Ritchie (September 9, 1941 – October 12, 2011) we would have:
No Windows
No Unix
No C
No Programs
A large setback in computing
No Generic-text Languages.
We would all read in Binary..

They died in the same year and the same month but it seems only few notice the death of Dennis Ritchie compared to Steve Jobs."
--------------------
That is disturbingly sad...
I didn't knew about Dennis Ritchie death because... Radio talked only about Steve Jobs, Facebook was spammed with Steve Jobs and forums were spammed with Steve Jobs.
Personally I don't use any of Steve Jobs products, and I don't believe he was any useful to computer world at all.
Yes he made smartphones, but I don't think he was first one, and not last one for sure, therefore I think he's not special at all, just a lot of people are advertisement victims.
Moussiffer wrote:
That is disturbingly sad...

In response to Zaoshi
Zaoshi wrote:
I didn't knew about Dennis Ritchie death because... Radio talked only about Steve Jobs, Facebook was spammed with Steve Jobs and forums were spammed with Steve Jobs.
Personally I don't use any of Steve Jobs products, and I don't believe he was any useful to computer world at all.
Yes he made smartphones, but I don't think he was first one, and not last one for sure, therefore I think he's not special at all, just a lot of people are advertisement victims.

Don't believe he was "any useful" to the computer world?
Oh yeah. The iPhone is/was (I assume the former) just regarded as the best mobile phone, the iPod defined "MP3 Player" for so many years, the iPad is very successful, Mac's were successful apparently, etc.

Yes, he was not useful at all.

You can dislike his products, but to say they were useless is just... wrong.
In response to Moonlight Memento
Moonlight Memento wrote:
Zaoshi wrote:

Don't believe he was "any useful" to the computer world?
Oh yeah. The iPhone is/was (I assume the former) just regarded as the best mobile phone, the iPod defined "MP3 Player" for so many years, the iPad is very successful, Mac's were successful apparently, etc.

Yes, he was not useful at all.

You can dislike his products, but to say they were useless is just... wrong.

He never said his products where useless.
He said "and I don't believe HE was any useful to computer world at all."
In response to Deathscyth15
So he had nothing to do with the above mentioned products. Gotcha.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
The iPhone is/was (I assume the former) just regarded as the best mobile phone
In my opinion it's far from best. Yes it's good and fast, but with such high price that's horrible.

iPod defined "MP3 Player" for so many years
iPod was nice device back at those times, now mobile phones have as much space as MP3 players do, so they became useless

iPad is very successful
This is most horrible idea ever. How's that even handheld? It's same as laptop without keyboard.

Mac's were successful apparently
I never had or even seen Mac PC, but I heard people speaking you cannot replace hardware on it, just buy new one. If that's true then it's way far from being successful. That's almost like mobile phone or console: want it faster or better graphics? Get new one for triple price!.
In response to Zaoshi
They're all high price. At least you get your money's worth.

"defined for so many years"
Read it carefully.

You are very ignorant to the iPad, too.
The Mac is successful enough. It sells well. It's cheap and good for art companies, or artists.
In response to Deathscyth15
I didn't honestly know any of these two men until they were on TV, OMG!?
Moonlight Memento wrote:
They're all high price. At least you get your money's worth.

"defined for so many years"
Read it carefully.

You are very ignorant to the iPad, too.
The Mac is successful enough. It sells well. It's cheap and good for art companies, or artists.

Mac computers are not cheap. They are probably the most expensive computers on the market (For basic models nonetheless) and they are made form inferior parts, they are extremely over priced and what they do can easily be done on any Window's PC. And you really don't get your moneys worth unless you are an artist or working with film or music, and even then you aren't because again... Everything you can do on a Mac, you can also do on the cheaper equivalent of a Window's PC.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
So he had nothing to do with the above mentioned products. Gotcha.

Steve Jobs did not make the iPhone or any apple products. all he did was over see it's production and then market it. So no he had nothing to do with the actual product, just its sale. They have groups of people who create concepts and ideas and then groups of people who make those ideas a reality and then Steve said yes or no to what he wanted to put on the market or not. That was pretty much the extent of his involvement. Sure he might have given ideas or suggestions, and sure he might have been a little more hands on, you know suggesting to make things smaller, or to add buttons or take away useless things (which are things we do everyday when we leave comments about products on things we do or do not like about them). But he did not actually create prototypes, or design the software, or anything of that nature, he agreed on products he thought would sell big, and then advertised according.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
The Mac is successful enough. It sells well. It's cheap

I actually logged in to say this:

No. Just no.
See also Guglielmo Marconi v. Reginald Fessenden.

I bet you have heard of Marconi, but Fessenden was the first to broadcast voice and really invented radio as we know it. However, he was not an adept bussinessman and lacked marketing savvy. So it goes....
If Dennis Ritchie didn't invent C someone else would have invented a similar language around the same time instead. We wouldn't have been stuck using Ada and Fortran forever. A language like C was the next logical step in the evolution of programming languages and removing one person wouldn't have stopped that.

Apple's contributions are also just logical steps in the evolution of phones and mp3 players, but they're slightly more that that. They're also creative leaps. If a particular artist had never existed, nobody would have made the same paintings in their place because the works are highly creative.
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
If Dennis Ritchie didn't invent C someone else would have invented a similar language around the same time instead. We wouldn't have been stuck using Ada and Fortran forever. A language like C was the next logical step in the evolution of programming languages and removing one person wouldn't have stopped that.

Apple's contributions are also just logical steps in the evolution of phones and mp3 players, but they're slightly more that that. They're also creative leaps. If a particular artist had never existed, nobody would have made the same paintings in their place because the works are highly creative.

No one would have made the exact same painting but like the situation above I am sure someone else would have made something similar to that stye of art or the same as that style but the created image obviously would be different.
I agree that something like C would have almost certainly been invented, but I'm not so sure that unix would have been.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
I agree that something like C would have almost certainly been invented, but I'm not so sure that unix would have been.

Considering he was one of many people who worked on Unix, I'm sure it would have been created anyway. It might have been a little different but it still would have come to exist.
Forum_account wrote:

Well their is a trend in history isn't there? The first to do something usually gets the credit. Once its been done the "impossible hasn't been accomplished" anymore. Just like Neil Armstrong and that other guy who came next. Just because you think something "logically" would've been invented anyway doesn't mean you shouldn't give credit where it is do. Its always harder to do the unknown. Logically, the people to do things first are remembered for a reason.

Overall, probably the most interesting perspective so far. Though I do feel you've missed the point once again.

Steve Jobs has little to do with the products, beyond seeing some tech and going "okay, let's do this". Steve is remembered because hes a celebrity, not because of his work. We praise celebrities. This is why Dennis isn't remembered.
In response to Hulio-G
Dennis Ritchie helped to create much of the underpinnings of the modern computing world as we know it.

Steve Jobs helped make it look sexy.
Page: 1 2