At each step will be a URL to an image, the image could contain further information in the comments of the code. Comments are anything after the // characters, it will be in a gray color.
Step 1: --- https://i.imgur.com/fKxFLD3.png
- Open up DreamMaker
- Give your project a name and where it will be located in your files.
- Pat yourself on the back, your game is already 50% done.
Step 2: --- https://i.imgur.com/G2Hk0D6.png
- F1 is your friend, if you need to know how something works, go there first.
- Whole step dedicated to this button right here.
Step 3: --- https://i.imgur.com/mwbZz5G.png
- This is how you compile your code.
- You can click it as much as you want nothing will happen.
Step 4: --- https://i.imgur.com/2pt3XM8.png ---https://i.imgur.com/434tHZa.png
- This is how you send people files to play/host your game.
Step 5: --- https://imgur.com/a/aP6Cz6N
- This is how you run your compiled code, after hitting compile.
Step 6: --- https://i.imgur.com/RtJW38l.png
- Think of people and how family trees work, even genetics, same thing here.
- mob/npc will inherit from mob, so will mob/npc/zombie
- Things defined under mob/npc won't be inherited by mob
- Things defined under mob/npc/zombie won't be inherited by mob/npc
- icon and icon_state is a built-in variable for anything that can be placed on the map and shown.
- The Default BYOND type hierarchy is as follow
- atom(/turf) -> atom/movable(/mob,/obj)
- A wall is dense, you can't walk through a wall if you're also dense.(Unless you're a ghost!)
- I forgot to mention, by default mobs are dense
- loc references the current turf at which your mob resides
Step 7: --- https://i.imgur.com/bJJQU4x.png --- https://i.imgur.com/XjstrhS.png
- You'll want to create a map.dmm file (.dmm means map file)
- You'll want to create a mobs.dmi and tiles.dmi (.dmi means icon file)
- Make sure to give them the correct icon_states in the icon files
Step 8: --- https://i.imgur.com/VEVapIU.png
- Click Compile
- Click Run
- The default movement system uses the arrow keys.
Step 9: --- ???
- I suggest learning about things in this order.
- Type Inheritance
- turfs, mobs, objs
- Return values, Arguments
- locate(), switch(), if(), else, else if()
- lists, var list/l = list("A","B","C",new/obj,333)