ID:2815224

My wife's surgery last week went well, but dealing with the aftermath of that has taken up a lot of time. Somehow I've gotten development done anyway.

A new alpha release for 515 went out, mainly dealing with some compiler issues that were found. But the big news is that a previously announced feature, the ability to define custom procs under /list and override existing ones, has been cut. It was syntactical sugar to begin with and way less useful than I originally thought it would be, but the reason it got cut back out is because it was badly messing up Goonstation's compilation. That wasn't acceptable, and there was no easy solution short of removing the offending feature.

To make up for that I'm working on another late feature that I think will be pretty useful, but won't cause any horrendous problems with SS13 branches. I don't want to go too far into detail yet because most of this is a trial run and might not make the cut.

One additional hurdle I dealt with this week was figuring out how to deal with a bit of problem code I discovered in Goonstation. It had the aforementioned issue of not starting correctly due to vars initializing in the wrong order, but there was an even bigger problem regarding a static var. Turns out another bug fix I'd done in 515 was now causing what was once a silent failure to fail with an actual proc crash, which was causing a whole lot of global and static vars not to initialize. Yikes! I discuss that more in today's Patreon post.

Anyway, I think we're a lot nearer the beta than we were, and hopefully things will settle down enough soon I can get that out. I do need to deal with some debugging for 514 issues, but boy have I not been in a good place to tackle that.

In further news, I'm starting to consider getting a new system. Mine is nearly six years old, and a number of issues with it have stood in the way of me jumping into the WebView2 project. Upgrading now might make a lot more sense, even with a huge medical bill staring us in the face. The timing sucks, but I can't imagine 2023 being any better. The way the 20s have progressed so far, next year we can expect locusts and a meteor strike.

But big thanks to all the BYOND Members whose contributions keep the development going. I really appreciate all of you.

Next week: even more interruptions, more appointments, but hopefully no more surgery. With luck, there will be some fried food. So basically development is gonna be sporadic again, but after Labor Day things might improve. I scored a major victory in my battle with the rheumatologist today, so I'm also hoping that translates to improved outcomes down the line. If not, at least I tried something.
Lummox JR wrote:
In further news, I'm starting to consider getting a new system.

AMD Zen 4 CPUs should be out soon and they will have an iGPU. Unless you want some powerful gaming machine with a dGPU it's probably worth the wait along with the other features that the platform will bring.