ID:2834267

It's been a busy week, with a lot happening behind the scenes even though bug fixes have continued.

A lot of my efforts this week have gone into examining and improving the garbage collection code, as a result of a very ancient bug that's going to be impossible to fix without further GC updates. There was a lot of old cruft in place that we didn't need anymore, and a need for some new functionality entirely. The way references were tested against a value to be deleted was also in dire need of an update, since it was being done with nested switch() statements. I could go on and on. I'm hoping that my changes so far have already resulted in a slight performance boost for worst-case del() operations.

SendMaps() threading has not been far from my mind either, although I want to get to it properly once the bug fix flurry is behind us. 515 is stabilizing quite a lot already, so that helps. Part of my GC work ties into that as well, which is why it's important I deal with that first.

None of this development would be possible without the support of all our BYOND Members and those who contribute on other platforms, so my thanks go out to all of you.

Today is Veterans' Day, or Remembrance Day as other parts of the world call it, so hail to everyone who's served. We're less than two weeks away from Thanksgiving now, and that means the Christmas is nearly here. Get those decorations ready, assuming you can find lights, and steel yourself for Mariah Carey on a loop. In the meantime, keep the bug reports coming.