ID:2842012

Well, my recovery has been way slower than I'd like, but I'm trying to get work done regardless. I put out a new beta release on Tuesday, closing a lot of bugs that had piled up. There are a few left in the queue, but nothing huge right now so that's been good. And I snuck in a new feature that was on the list while I was at it.

With things looking to settle down a bit, I got to do a little bit more with SendMaps() threading stuff as I'd promised. This was something I hadn't been able to work on for a while, and it was nice to move forward with it. I made it a bit of a minor goal to have a proof of concept working before the Christmas break, and as it happens last night I got far enough to get something small working. In the process I also discovered an issue with the original threading implementation that I hadn't previously been aware of, which was a nice bonus—especially since it was a relatively easy fix.

Next steps are a little more complicated, as I want to do much more in-depth testing and also I want to improve on the thread management model I'm using. There are certain inefficiencies built into the way I'm doing it now, even though I dealt with a few others, so I want to see about improving that.

So the good news is that despite a lot of setbacks, I feel way better about the state of the code today than I'd expected to, since I met what I thought was an ambitious goal a lot sooner than planned. Now I'm setting a stretch goal of coming up with that better implementation I mentioned, and hopefully having a very difficult test case to try.

Thanks to everyone who's been supporting BYOND this year, especially recently. Your Memberships and donations really mean a lot.

Next week is the last development week of the year! I have some scheduling issues that hopefully won't get too much in the way, and I'm still not feeling wonderful which also hopefully won't get too much in the way. Because Christmas is on a Sunday, I haven't decided if I'll take off Friday the 23rd to get ahead of it and get things ready that I need to. I'm also pretty strongly considering taking off Monday the 2nd. Not gonna lie, it's been a tough month, and the extra rest could do a world of good. But I'll be back for sure in the new year one day or another. Get your decorations and presents ready!
Good!!