ID:2843456

I'm finally recovering after getting some prescriptions to help with the bronchitis, but that only came about mid-week. Tuesday was basically a loss and since then I've been trying to just squeeze in whatever development I can between last-minute stuff that keeps coming up.

Fortunately, I'm ending the year on a high note with most of the SendMaps threading done in proof-of-concept. I got further than my initial work last week so that now there's a new thread model, and the profiler should in theory be ready, and it's just a matter now of finding an appropriately obnoxious test case to see if I can break it. In the new year I'll get some test builds out to see if any SS13 coders can test it out under load. I'll probably also need to do a Linux build for that. Not fun, but it has to be done; the newer thread code has never really been tested under Linux.

One of the things I did this week was dig into some bug reports, and I dealt with one involving chained dot operators that was kind of surprising. This led me down a rabbit hole, and I believe I need to do some testing on a few of the operate-and-assign operators with overloading—because I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

So I got less done than I'd hoped this week, but also more, and if that isn't the year in review I don't know what is. After these last three years though I'm hoping for something way less apocalyptic.

Thanks everyone who's supported BYOND, this month and this year, through your Memberships and other donation platforms. I'm grateful for all of you and thankful to be able to do this work.

As a minor addendum, once again I'll be participating in the r/Fantasy holiday megasale on Reddit, organized by Bryce O'Connor, and just like last year it will be a charity drive for St. Jude: they get a donation for every book sold or given away. Go check out the r/Fantasy subreddit on December 26 and 27, and I'll also share the link on my blog and edit this post when it's available. [Edit: The sale is live!]

Next week: nothing! I'll be around of course, but any development will be strictly incidental. I'm planning to return on January 3rd; my wife gets Monday off so I figured I should take it off too. Get those cookies ready for Santa, throw some spessmen on the fire, and mak gam, every one.

I'll get some test builds out to see if any SS13 coders can test it out under load.

Willing to test this on Paradise. We sometimes hit 160 pop and 45ms of sendmaps, which when you have 50 millisecond ticks, is pretty steep.
My hope is that I can cut that tick way down for you. Obviously it isn't as simple as N threads meaning divide by N, but I still expect nice gains with high-pop servers.

The difficulty is this might end up taking a number of releases to get right, and could turn out very hard to debug if anything is wrong. But hopefully this will work out pretty well.
The difficulty is this might end up taking a number of releases to get right, and could turn out very hard to debug if anything is wrong. But hopefully this will work out pretty well.

If we get any issues I am able to take full memory dumps while the process is running with the server toolkit we use. Dont know how useful those will be if at all, but anything I can provide to help debug this I will gladly provide.
tg uses Windows for all our populated servers if it makes things easier
linux is the superior operating system
linux io begs to disagree.