ID:2845897

Problem description:
Looking for ways to make creating maps less tedious, I came across Ter13's Autotilelib which appears like it would help tremendously with the mapping process.

Going over the documentation, it reads "In order to use autotile_lib, you need to first define a series of autotile_rules." and then provides a code snippet as an example:
var
list/autotile_rules = list(
"rule"=list("id"=1)
)

As this is my first time working with any form of auto-tiler, I can't quite wrap my head around expressing the "rules" to get my desired outcome. Normally I would just play around trying different things, but I am not even sure where to begin when generating rules.

If I could get an example of: an input icon.dmi file, what a proper "autotile_rules" variable decoration looks like, and the resulting icons that are generated from the initial input icon and autotile_rules. I feel that would be very helpful in helping me understand what exactly the library is asking for.

Here are two images: an input icon.dmi file I attempted to use with Ter13's Autotile Demo, and the only results I could generate with my limited knowledge of the library.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
Autotiler isn't for use with AutotileLib. It's for an entirely different purpose. The documentation on Autotiler would have told you this. Please read the documentation before attempting to continue with either Autotiler or AutotileLib.

Autotile rules are a list of autotile_rule ids associated with a list of tile_ids. If you want shore tiles to connect to both ocean tiles and river tiles, you would create this rule:

"water"=list("shore"=1,"ocean"=1,"river"=1)

Now any autotiling turf that has an autotile_rule set to "water" will join with tiles that have a tile_id set to "shore", "ocean", or "river". Any neighbor tile that is not one of these rules will fail to connect.

To generate an autotile icon with AutotileLib, just run your project in debug mode and call the client command GenAutotile(). it will ask you to upload an icon blank and then export an at47 autotile icon using your blank.

Also, your blank is the wrong dimensions. Read the documentation.