ID:2846354

You've probably heard the hype surrounding the recent fusion breakthrough at the National Ignition Facility at the Lawrence Livermore National Labratory in California where it was announced that symbolic fusion ignition was recently achieved. While this is an exciting development, the feat was not a practical ignition. We're still a long way from viable fusion technology, and this recent experiment is unlikely to be the way we reach that goal. Our boy Anton explains it best.

An excellent channel which I highly recommend to anyone interested in science and astronomy. Anton always has a sober perspective on the latest innovations and discoveries that reach national attention.
I'm bullish on fusion but I think it'll still take us a lot of time to get there.

I don't however have any faith in ITER, which is way too expensive and is already outdated before its completion, which is also taking too long. I fear Bussard was right about tokamaks when he said they're just no good. It's just a shame his polywell fusion concept didn't pan out.

There are lots of interesting research teams working on the problem, though. The only limiting factor is budget, with most of the smaller teams not seeing the kind of budget they need to move their work forward meaningfully.
The polywell could still be the way to go. We just need to find a way of doing away with the grid. This guy has some interesting ideas on that: