Regressia

by IainPeregrine
Regressia
Relive the glory days of gaming with a new single-player RPG. Regressia is a BYOND game like no other. It is 100% complete and uses all original Graphics, Music, and Programming. This is the real experience.
ID:287805

Awesome.

Some of these suggestions may not fit Regressia, I urge you to use your discretion when determining which have value.

Things I've noticed:
- The movement smoothing is a little jumpy. Sometimes I overshoot my target, doorways mostly, when they are a single tile away. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it, considering keyboards suck.

- The music isn't consistent in terms of volume. I step into town, think the volume needs to be lower. Get into a battle, think the volume needs to be higher.

- Would it be possible to let us map our own keys without leaving the game/restarting it?

- I'd like to see my gold when I enter the inn.

- Can we get some sort of equipped feedback. I might own two of the same weapon, I want to know which one I'm using.

- Did you mean for some items to be capitalized and some to not? (Copper, Leather, Salve, bandage, torch)

- Can we see how much our stats increase on level-up as well?

- Love the cave music.

- There is some really strange movement queuing going on. I've seen myself enter a fight, which doesn't pass beyond the "Such and such blocks your way forward" for quite a long time, then all the keys I pressed during that time (expecting a lockup) would play out. In one account, I killed the enemy and then proceeded to romp around without pressing anything. In another, my selection cursor went all over the place in battle and finally landed on Run where, apparently, I had pressed spacebar, so I ran, and THEN proceeded to romp around the dungeon. ... And after a bit more tinkering I've determined it to be on account of the movement system. Movements are buffered, apparently, which are transferred into and out of battles. For your testing pleasure, repeatedly press A, D, Left Arrow, and Right Arrow to quickly queue up a ton of movements. Eventually, you'll encounter a battle where it'll play out your movements (silently) while you wait for a spacebar press, which may only be pressed after the queue has caught up (or when the queue reaches a spacebar press).

- [Spoiler] After defeating the succubus you return to the castle where you talk to the queen and then the guard for the armory. The guard says you'll need more than such and such when you travel east to Willognook. Then you immediately head west to Willognook. Once I arrived in Willognook, I spoke to the townspeople to find that there is a cave to the west in the forest. Upon revisiting the world map, to the west is an ocean, to the east a forest in which resides a cave. Did I miss something? Are east and west backwards in this game?

- In Alderdale, a man in an eastern house speaks of Lorcan sending troops to "gaurd" the mountain pass.

- You could probably get away with mapping the number keys to macros in such a way that people don't have to turn off numlock to use those keys.

I'm still playing, if I run into more I'll post those too.

- When in fullscreen mode, you can draw the window by clicking the black space that isn't part of the map. I found a simple solution to be filling the window with a similarly colored label.
Vermolius wrote:
- The movement smoothing is a little jumpy. Sometimes I overshoot my target, doorways mostly, when they are a single tile away. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it, considering keyboards suck.

This wasn't as big a problem when movement delays were larger, but I caved and decreased them. I'm going to do some testing tonight and then perhaps put them back where they were. I'll go into this more in a moment, but "button mashing" instead of holding down a button may be part of the problem.

- The music isn't consistent in terms of volume. I step into town, think the volume needs to be lower. Get into a battle, think the volume needs to be higher.

BYOND's sound system has screwed with my .xm files terribly, which is why you'll notice that a lot of them loop oddly. I assure you that all my tunes looped smoothly when I first made them. I'll look into the volume thing (again) and see if I can tweak it further.

- Would it be possible to let us map our own keys without leaving the game/restarting it?

I would much rather have an in-game macro editor. I'm just not sure if this is feasible with the way BYOND handles macros. I'd probably have to define a macro set with every single button defined as a macro, and then attach that to some custom input things... and it all gets rather hairy. It's on the to do list.

- I'd like to see my gold when I enter the inn.

I'll look into getting that to work.

- Can we get some sort of equipped feedback. I might own two of the same weapon, I want to know which one I'm using.

It doesn't matter. If you own two Copper swords, then you really only own one with 2 "charges". When you sell a sword, or if it's destroyed or something, it'll use up one of those charges. If you had the other sword equipped, it will still be equipped. I'll consider putting something about that in the help file.

- Did you mean for some items to be capitalized and some to not? (Copper, Leather, Salve, bandage, torch)

I was attempting to get around some items which are plural even in their singular form in English, and that whole an/a issue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll take another look at it for consistency, but there's going to be some weird Engrish stuff going on with item names no matter what I do.

- Can we see how much our stats increase on level-up as well?

I asked my testers which they preferred on level up, seeing their total stats, or seeing how much they increased. The setup you see now is what they preferred. If you prefer it the other way, I could be convinced to change it (seeing the increase only makes more sense to me), or I could be convinced to show both, one after the other.

- Love the cave music.

Thanks, that's one of the ones I'm proud of.

- There is some really strange movement queuing going on...

The movement seems to be issue no.1 that people are having. As you've said, keyboards suck for video games. The larger problem is that BYOND's way of handling the keyboard sucks even more if you're not expecting your players to button mash. Until I can work out the kinks that are left, the only suggestion I can make is to hold down the buttons when you move. If you hold down the button, which is how the game is designed to be played, BYOND won't queue up the commands. It will queue them up if you mash the button repeatedly to move.

- [Spoiler] After defeating the succubus you return to the castle where you talk to the queen and then the guard for the armory. The guard says you'll need more than such and such when you travel east to Willognook. Then you immediately head west to Willognook. Once I arrived in Willognook, I spoke to the townspeople to find that there is a cave to the west in the forest. Upon revisiting the world map, to the west is an ocean, to the east a forest in which resides a cave. Did I miss something? Are east and west backwards in this game?

I'm left handed. My teachers when I was younger really screwed this up for me: "Your Right hand is the hand that you Write with. East is the direction which is Right on the map." My play testers kept pointing out those East/West problems as they went through the game, but I think those last two slipped in while I was making some last minute changes to the demo. Long story short, I goofed, they'll be fixed in the next update :)

- In Alderdale, a man in an eastern house speaks of Lorcan sending troops to "gaurd" the mountain pass.

"Proper" spelling is a recent invention, designed to sell dictionaries. Can't we be friends and put this behind us?

- You could probably get away with mapping the number keys to macros in such a way that people don't have to turn off numlock to use those keys.

I'll look into it.

- When in fullscreen mode, you can draw the window by clicking the black space that isn't part of the map. I found a simple solution to be filling the window with a similarly colored label.

Ditto

Thanks, I really do appreciate it
In response to IainPeregrine

Ditto

That was supposed to say 'drag' the window. Not sure if you understood me or not.

Thanks, I really do appreciate it

I appreciate the game. I've since finished the demo. I'm not sure if I want to pay $10 for the full game or not, yet. I've got a problem with the amount of story. Which was how the old NES games were, but nowadays I want more than.

Person A: "Oh no, something is wrong."
Person B: "There seems to be something strange going on in the cave over there."
Bad Guy in Cave: "Die."
*Fight*
Bad Guy in Cave: "Me die."

I'm thinking we need to get more money exchanging hands on BYOND, though. What are the odds of a Regressia II, with a $5 subscription to members who have subscribed to Regressia? :D
In response to Vermolius
Vermolius wrote:
I appreciate the game. I've since finished the demo. I'm not sure if I want to pay $10 for the full game or not, yet. I've got a problem with the amount of story. Which was how the old NES games were, but nowadays I want more than.

I've had to learn a lot of new skills in order to make Regressia, which is why it took so long. The underlying structure of the program took me about 6months to complete. Then I realized I didn't have the needed skills to make art of the quality I could charge money for, and it took me about a year to get to that point. Same deal with Music after that, and then another year to re-examine the code base and story so it would be up to the standard of everything else. ...Hm, actually, the music came last.

The point being, the storyline is weak. I tried to make a good story, and there are points that I think are excellent. There's one fight in particular that received the best in every aspect, and I feel it's a work of art. The rest of it... the basics of the storyline are easy to follow, but if you can piece together Brother John's part in it, I'll be overjoyed.

I'm thinking we need to get more money exchanging hands on BYOND, though. What are the odds of a Regressia II, with a $5 subscription to members who have subscribed to Regressia? :D

I can't really say at this point; I'm just glad to be done with it. Originally, I planned for Regressia to be a simple game that would found a series, with better storylines and more advanced combat system (with parties!) in the games to come. That was four years ago, and I'm not sure I'm interested in video games anymore.

I don't want to sound greedy, but the best way to get me interested in a Regressia II with a better story and better art/music is to support this game monetarily. I don't expect to make gads of money, but having someone stick $10 in your pocket is a great way to make you feel better about what you're doing.