ID:29101

Keywords: byond, community
BYOND is growing. We see that in the internal stats that we collect regarding everything from website hits to number of unique computers logging into the pager each day. It's also quite apparent in the publicly available stats -- namely, the instantaneous number of people online.

You may have noticed that the number of online people is regularly in the 3000s these days. We didn't hit that milestone until earlier this year, on January 14th. Heck, we only hit 2000 for the first time less than a year ago, back in July. And the pace is accelerating.

Yesterday we hit 3900 people online for the first time. But you people weren't satisfied with that. Yes, for a brief 5 minutes or so, we actually peaked above 4000. No fooling. We doubled the number of people simultaneously logged into BYOND in less than 9 months.

For comparison, here are the numbers for the past three years on April 1st:

What a great milestone for BYOND. Thanks to all of you April Fools for making it happen!
Hee hee hee. I logged on simultaneously from 2,713 locations... APRIL FOOLS!
Hurray! Good thing only 0.00025% of them are anime fans.
Glad we don't actually have 4000 users actively using the forums, that'd make things so chaotic.
By the way, was this related to the website crashing yesterday? There were two times where it just outright wouldn't connect, and then once where I got the cheese poll, all within about an hour of each other.

Can BYOND actually handle 4000 people?
Can BYOND actually handle 4000 people?

Mike has put a lot of thought and effort into ways to reduce the hit to the system (complicated by the fact that we keep adding more website features!), the hardware has been upgraded, Tom has added machines, etc. It'll be an ongoing effort, and concern over system load has put some desired features on hold (like a customized home page for each user) until we can come up with a streamlined solution.

What we really need to see to be sure BYOND can handle the load and continues improving is an ever-rising number of paying Members, not only to pay for the computers and bandwidth and such, but to help pay for the people required to make it happen. So along with constantly tweaking the system, we'll be looking for ways to get more Members and other ways to address the costs.
Holy $%!^

That's crazy.

Go BYOND!
Nobody cares about the number of people attacking BYOND; quality > quantity. Let's get some real statistics, like what browsers these people are using and possibly some settings on these browsers (JavaScript? Cookies?), as well as what game genres are being hit up the most (Fan Games is a no-brainer, but what of the others?).
"All time high: 4008"

I wish this was a hint about BYONDs version numbers, and the one that's going to be released soon.
Hiead wrote:
Nobody cares about the number of people attacking BYOND

except, you know, us
In a year or so it'll be OVER NINE THOUSANNNDDD.
Hey, congrats!
That's gotta be pretty damn gratifying.
That's, what? 33% growth in four months?

I guess the beers are on Tom.
That was just me on 2000 computers... APRIL FOOLS!

Edit: I didn't read the replies first, Lexy beat me to it, damn you!
That's hilarious, TNN...

It was funnier at 1:27 p.m., though.
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
I guess the beers are on Tom.

If you say so...

*pours a beer on Tom*

Sure is an awkward way of celebrating...
Hedgemistress wrote:
That's hilarious, TNN...

It was funnier at 1:27 p.m., though.

HA! I edited my post before you could reply, so shame on you... both for beating me to the punch and your latent reply.

Smoko wrote:
"All time high: 4008"

I wish this was a hint about BYONDs version numbers, and the one that's going to be released soon.

It is a hint about BYOND's Version numbers, 4008 is also the year they plan on releasing 4.0.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007
DUDE

My birthday is January 14. :D
Hm... Thats pretty good for BYOND. I hope that BYOND get so much people that they would have to make like a whole new server for like each guild.
Wow, half a year can make a difference. Now there's like hundreds more on.
It would be really really neat if the members could have access to the cool data like the graph above. I know I'd find it really interesting.