ID:294543

BYOND Build Number (version):482.1091
Operating System:Windows Vista
Video/Graphics Card:
Game Hub/Link:Space Station 13
Internet Connection Type:Wired
Firewalls/Routers:Norton Internet Security

Problem Description:I can host for about 6 minutes then Dream Daemon crashes... Why?

Steps to Reproduce Problem: Host, wait, issue..
If Dream Daemon is crashing that technically belongs in a bug report. It is possible DD is simply overstressed on your machine because SS13 is a fairly large game. But what we need in a bug report would be specs on your computer (amount of memory would help too), and details about the crash.

To get crash details in Windows XP, you can activate Dr. Watson. I'm not sure what Vista and Windows 7 offer as an alternative, but as long as you can get info on which module is crashing and at which offset, that should be helpful.
In response to Lummox JR
It now seems that I re downloaded the source and it runs fine but now I can't open up the map in DM....
In response to Jacob843
Jacob843 wrote:
It now seems that I re downloaded the source and it runs fine but now I can't open up the map in DM....

That sounds a lot like a memory issue to me.
In response to Lummox JR
How do I fix it?
In response to Jacob843
I can't really say more without knowing more about your system specs--right now I can only take educated guesses. If DM is failing to load SS13's map, low memory is a strong possibility. That also depends though on how it's failing to load; if it's giving you a message about problems with the object tree or some such, that's a problem in the source.
In response to Lummox JR
Well no, when it crashes windows says: Dream Maker has not been responding, then it gives me the option to close or debug.

Here is my system information: http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/Jacob843/ BYONDhelp2.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/Jacob843/ BYONDhelp.jpg
In response to Jacob843
With a 2.1 GHz processor it may just be taking a very long time to bring up the map. It's hard to say.

One option you could try is manually splitting the map into separate files using a text editor, just appending something like -01, -02, etc. for the various Z levels. That would basically eliminate the problems inherent in having a single huge map.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
With a 2.1 GHz processor it may just be taking a very long time to bring up the map. It's hard to say.

One option you could try is manually splitting the map into separate files using a text editor, just appending something like -01, -02, etc. for the various Z levels. That would basically eliminate the problems inherent in having a single huge map.

How would I do that?
In response to Jacob843
Jacob843 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

How would I do that?

1) Make a copy of the original map file.
2) Open the copy in a text editor, such as Notepad.
3) Scroll down past the definitions to where the actual map data is laid out. You should see each section starting with coordinates, which will tell you which Z levels you're looking at.
4) Strip out the sections corresponding to every Z level except the first.
5) Save, and rename this file to [original name]-01.dmm.
6) Repeat for other Z levels.
7) Open the project, uncheck the original map, and check all the new maps.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Jacob843 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:

How would I do that?

1) Make a copy of the original map file.
2) Open the copy in a text editor, such as Notepad.
3) Scroll down past the definitions to where the actual map data is laid out. You should see each section starting with coordinates, which will tell you which Z levels you're looking at.
4) Strip out the sections corresponding to every Z level except the first.
5) Save, and rename this file to [original name]-01.dmm.
6) Repeat for other Z levels.
7) Open the project, uncheck the original map, and check all the new maps.

*Cries* I can't do this.. There is no coordinates besides letters! And this confuses me D: ...

Sample of lines:

"bpB" = (/obj/cable{d1 = 1; d2 = 2; icon_state = "1-2"; pixel_y = 0; tag = "Streight"},/turf/simulated/floor{icon_state = "freezerfloor"},/area/crew_quarters/kitchen)
"bpC" = (/obj/machinery/gibber,/obj/disposalpipe/segment,/turf/ simulated/floor{icon_state = "freezerfloor"},/area/crew_quarters/kitchen)
"bpD" = (/obj/machinery/light/small{dir = 1},/turf/simulated/floor{icon_state = "bar"},/area/crew_quarters/bar)
"bpE" = (/obj/table/reinforced/onetilethick{dir = 9},/turf/simulated/floor{icon_state = "bar"},/area/crew_quarters/bar)
"bpF" = (/obj/table/reinforced/onetilethick{dir = 4; icon_state = "reinf_1tileendtable"},/turf/simulated/floor{icon_state = "bar"},/area/crew_quarters/bar)
"bpG" = (/obj/machinery/door/window/northright{dir = 2; name = "Bar Door"; req_access_txt = "25"},/turf/simulated/floor{icon_state =
In response to Jacob843
Here is a comparison of my past version that I could open (and didn't crash), and the newer one (on the right).

Notice the size difference.
In response to Jacob843
That's the opening part of the file. The coordinates and the actual map data appear below.
In response to Jacob843
Jacob843 wrote:
Here is a comparison of my past version that I could open (and didn't crash), and the newer one (on the right).

Notice the size difference.

You didn't include an image there or anything. There's nothing to look at.
In response to Lummox JR
Ok so umm, I tried to split the Z level and I went to the SMALLEST level, 6. So I tried to do what you said and it STILL isn't responding..