ID:31172

Kay..... I need a lil help =3

How do I connect 2 computers? Say for transferring a whole lot of files. I use an ethernet cable right?

Then what?

EDIT: If it helps, I'm trying to connect a computer with Windows XP to a computer with Windows Vista
For connecting just 2 computers together, you can use what's called a crossover cable which is basically a normal network cable with the 'in' and 'out' wires reversed at one end (so 'outs' from one PC go to the 'ins' of the other).
This is what I've got set up in my room between a win 2000 and XP computer and it works OK.
So basically an ethernet cable.... And then what?
You have to make sure it's a crossover cable, otherwise it won't work.
Anyway, after that you should be able to use the Vista or XP network setup wizard to set it up - you may need to manually set the ip address on each PC (which you do by going to the property page of the connection, selecting the bit with the list of protocols, selecting TCP/IP, properties button, type in the ip you want (different for each PC) (I recommend 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2))
You may need to install this on the XP computer to get it properly connect to the Vista computer.
Thank you so much!
Agh.... The Vista computer detected the unidentified Network(The XP Computer) but I dont know how to move files.
file transfer wizard?
I've not an idea where Im looking.
<--- I could help. I choose not to. Lalalala.
OK, on the XP computer you need to set the folder you want to move files from as being shared. The best thing to do is stick a folder on your desktop (or somewhere else you can easily get to if you're a neat freak) called 'SHARED' or something and set it as shared.
To share a folder, right-click on it and select the 'Sharing' tab, then set the folder as being shared.
Then, where the XP computer is being detected (I'm not sure where this is as I haven't had a chance to play around with Vista networking yet) double click on the computer and the shared folder should be available.
Hazman wrote:

Not necessarily. Most newer ethernet adapters have what is called Auto MDIX, which auto-detects whether the connection needs to be crossed or not. If at least one of the machines has it, then any cable will work.
How many files are you transferring? If you have a small amount, put it into a zip file and put it in those free internet storages, and download it from your other computer. If it's a large amount, just hook up your old computer's hard drive to the new one, transfer files that way, copy and paste.
Mike H wrote:
Hazman wrote:

Not necessarily. Most newer ethernet adapters have what is called Auto MDIX, which auto-detects whether the connection needs to be crossed or not. If at least one of the machines has it, then any cable will work.

Yeah, but using several types of Ethernet cables makes you feel so much more nerdy!

I wish I had a big ol' Cisco switch or router just so I could use my home made rollover cable :[

I am transferring..... 15 gigs of files including Music and other Media.
lol u can just like put all your stuff into your byond site and download them from there or use a USB
Just e-mail the files to yourself and download them on the other computer.
Take out the hard drive, put it in the other computer, transfer the files, take the hard drive out, put it in the first computer. That would be the fastest possible way of transferring the files.
or u can put your stuff on CD's and if u don't have any spare ones u can buy them cheap from Best Buy or Fry's
Topdog60 wrote:
or u can put your stuff on CD's and if u don't have any spare ones u can buy them cheap from Best Buy or Fry's

15 gigabytes would take FOREVER to put onto CD's
Strawgate has the most Ideal Idea here.
Go with it :D