Mafia

by LostRealm
Mafia
Get rid of the Mafia before the Mafia gets rid of you.
ID:38098

Hello everyone at Byond Casual, this will be my first review. I went to look at some games that have not been reviewed, and than I seen one of the classic most fun games I think that are in this guild. What better to review other than the one and only Mafia(which holds the second highest rating in the guild).

Well, let's get started. Mafia is based on a popular card game called "Mafia", but there is many differences. Mafia is a game where you use a good deal of strategy, and you use your bluffing skills to trick everyone too. In the game your goal is to try to find out who is the Mafia within the people playing, and than vote them off, or kill them if you can, before they kill off and trick off of the players.

The game starts off as the host picks the class' to play as, there 30 different class' and you can only have the same amount of players as the class'(or less). The host can also choose to put on different rules like the dead players can talk, the voting, etc. Now, once the game is started, everyone goes to sleep(makes the screen black). Than the game slowly wakes up the players by their class. It will say "Mafia wake up" which lets the Mafia wake up, they than click on someone they want to kill. Once they do this it continues to someone else(it has a specific order.), let's say it was the Doctor. The Doctor will wake up and he can choose someone to save(he can choose himself) if that person is suppose to die, the person will survive. There are many class' such as the Blind-man, he can never see but he can hear people private talk. The Mime cannot talk, but he sees all the Mafia wake up(everyone), so he knows what everyone is. The Sheriff can check what people are(find out if they're a Mafia or not.) Most of the class's have others like them, but there is still a bunch to choose from.

Anyway, after everyone sleeps, the game will say what happened that night. If a Mafia killed someone it says "[insert name..] has been murdered tonight!". If someone was saved by a doctor "There was an attempted murder, but the medical team was able to save them." Than after that, the players can discuss who they think is the Mafia, and than they will try to vote them off. Sometimes The Mafia will trick others to vote for other people since the Mafia can sometimes be a big team, they can influence others.

Graphic Rating: 8/10
The game has 22 great looking stages, and 25 sections of characters, all containing atleast 5 characters in each one. All characters look nice too with different icon states.

The Stages have all nice icons I would say, some such as "The Cave", "The Street", etc do not have a lot of jazz to them, are kind of plain, but I don't mind having some normal-like stages, the graphics are still nice.

The Character icons are all nicely done, with a lot of sections + Original. The 25 sections consist of game and movies such as Lord of the Rings, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, has some Super Heroes and real people(Rock stars), etc. This would please any player since there is atleast one section they would like, I prefer the Mortal Kombat section :P

Each Icon has a little bit of icon_states to(raising their hand, looking back and fourth, and of course death.)

Sound - Music Rating: 7/10
7/22 of the stages have music, but all those stages do have nice music. The Death star can get a bit annoying, but I can deal with it. My personal favorite song would have to be the Mortal Kombat theme in the stage "Hell". So, I think it deserves a 7 for having good music, but not in the majority of the stages(And no Sound effects.)

Game play Rating: 8/10
The game has many things to offer in Game play. The controls are pretty simple, just talking + clicking is the most you will be doing. 30 different class's to choose from. I'd say it has 22 stages to go to, and a lot of fun strategy.

The 30 Different class's are mostly all fun to be, although some may be a large pain. Playing as the Blind man can be a problem for people to vote if they don't know how to vote threw the statistics, and it is annoying to not be able to see yourself, but that's the point of the fun, same with Mime, it is annoying but fun. Playing as fun characters like the Hitman could be a thrill, if someone says that they're a doctor, and that's your target, you take care of them!

Some stages are a bit different to play at, I mean it does not change a bunch, just gives you different seat combinations. But in the end, it is pretty much just looks nice, none of the stages will effect how you play.

The strategy to the game play is the best, trying to track down the Mafia is a fun thing to do. And when you're a Mafia and you deceive some of the players to vote off their friends could be the one of the funnest things to do. The Game play in the game may not be attractive to everybody, but it is still lots of fun to play.

Multi-player Rating: 9/10
The Multi-player in this game is needed. You can't play the game alone, which makes it even better. You need more players so you can team up and trick the others. The Multi-player is a necessity so I will give it a 9/10 since you need to have it, and it is just so fun to play with lots of players(the more the players, the more the game is.)

Fun over time Rating: 7.5/10
The game has different characters and stages, but that does not effect how fun it will be. The game is fun for a good while, but it is not the game you will play more than on occasions since it has no reason to keep playing other than to make you have more wins. I like playing Mafia from time to time since it is a fun "CASUAL" game, still I will give it a 7.5/10 since it is a bunch of fun.

Overall Rating: 8/10
I think Mafia deserves an 8/10 because it is a fun casual game that takes good strategy + deception to play. And is based on than card game "Mafia"?, plus has a lot of different stages, characters, and class's to choose from.

Sorry about that guys! I did not mean to post the review that I was still writing, I was previewing and pressed the incorrect button, here is the real review.
People need to host this game more.
I agree, I love this game but it is never hosted. I would host it, but I got a router :(
I hate this game!
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
I hate this game!

Would you care to provide a reason why?
god dmamit.. wen the server was on yesterday i was waiting 4 5 min n no 1 got on =,=
Foomer wrote:
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
I hate this game!

It's stupid all you do is pick a bad icon and click on people.. Thats the only part of the gane

Zoidberg3323 wrote:
Foomer wrote:
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
I hate this game!

It's stupid all you do is pick a bad icon and click on people.. Thats the only part of the gane

It's not stupid. It's probably a different experience on BYOND, but it's a game we play in camp. When played correctly it's pretty awesome and you have to work together with your respective allies in silence to win the game.

This Game is Teh PWNAGE
Zoidberg3323 wrote:
I hate this game!

who cares thus game pwnz
Yo need host more but if you hate it i don't care but i never went on it because it never on...
This game is fun, but some get bored of it. The icon is good enough. Its funny pretending to be a blind man as a mafia, nobody EVER votes u down unless they kno or suspect the truth
This game is my all-time fav.
Great game but horrible people.
Everyone seems to think they are better than everyone else.
Great review by the way.
I logged in on Fremia's server and allready this newbie named Joy and Xane were asking questions like crazy.
Joy even blurted her role out as Nurse and Blue as Doc and said I was going to kill her when I simply whispered, 'You die tonight.'
Then, I simply said I'm witness. And like my popular term, Sheep, they all herded with her.
Servers are sexist based and females seem to be treated like they are better.
They have a higher chance of getting Host powers from someone and everyone tends to be nicer to them.
When you tell someone how to play the game, they tell you you are retarded and are stuck up. They are simply being stuckup for not listening and expect someone to explain all roles and that the game goes by clicking.
No one wants to sit there and type paragraphs upon paragraphs while the game is in progress.
It's pathetic.

Things Mafia lacks/needs;
Spam filter.
Curse filter.
Moderation.
Remove Ban from Host Powers.
Role Fixes.
'Cool Down' time between starting a new round otherwise people will auto-sit out.
Remove Win/Lose (This disrupts gameplay completely. Everyone seems to think winning and losing is the only thing to do. Mafia Pro's don't play just to win or lose, they actually enjoy the game.)
Some options would be nice such as Ignore, Music Toggle, and maybe take the Commands Tab away and turn it into a HUD, Macros or Skin Buttons.
I love this game and agree with your reveiw. I disagree with maximum_alex2003. I made some byond freinds off there. A great reveiw dude
Nice Review. I think it has more replay value, but it's still a pretty good game. Lately I've been hosting a Mafia server 24/7...And the last person that abused the ban button got banned from the server, from Dream Daemon. It'd be nice if there was more people on more often though. It's a good game, there's no denying that.

Edit: Also, I agree; the host ban button should be removed. >_>

Things Mafia lacks/needs;
Spam filter. - Yes.
Curse filter. - No.
Moderation. - No.
Remove Ban from Host Powers. - NO.
Role Fixes. - Hm?
'Cool Down' time between starting a new round otherwise people will auto-sit out. - What?
Remove Win/Lose (This disrupts gameplay completely. Everyone seems to think winning and losing is the only thing to do. Mafia Pro's don't play just to win or lose, they actually enjoy the game.) - NEVER.
Some options would be nice such as Ignore, Music Toggle, and maybe take the Commands Tab away and turn it into a HUD, Macros or Skin Buttons. - All already available by out-of-game means

As said before, mafia can be resumed by: Choosing a bad icon and click people