ID:44339

Keywords: cancer, medical
Results from the June CAT scan are in. The doctors still want to make absolutely sure that it is what they think it is, but it appears that either radiation or chemotherapy will be in my very near future. A new 1.9cm mass was found in the left periaortic lymph node, right about where they would expect it to be based on past history. It was not evident in the April or February scans.

Stage IIA Seminoma. This is the best case for Stage II, with 90 to 95% complete cure rate, depending on who you talk to. Fantastic odds. And yet, this has not prevented me from feeling extraordinarily stressed and downright depressed since receiving the news earlier today.

With the initial diagnosis and treatment, I pretty much took everything in stride. I think I even surprised myself at how well I handled it. This one, for some reason, has me pretty rattled right now. Despite continuing outstanding odds of full recovery. Ugh.

As it is very necessary when battling any disease, I'll work on regaining my optimism in the morning after some much needed rest.
Mike, stay strong buddy. You're in our thoughts. Give me a call whenever you want.
Amazing how versatile and dynamic the human body is when faced with the biggest of challenges, while still being weak and frail, normally to the smallest of foes.

Good luck.
Having to keep fighting something that was hopefully relegated to the past sucks. Feeling drained is understandable.

Keep believing in the statistics...there's a reason the house always wins...
You are the strongest person I know. We'll be back on the bikes soon.
Sorry to hear that, Mike. I'm glad the news isn't any worse, which has to be a comfort, but it still has to feel pretty sucky considering you've been through so much else already. I wish you all the best through the treatments coming up--sooner or later (preferably sooner) you'll get off this crazy roller coaster.
Mike-

Sorry to hear the news. I was thinking of calling, but you mentioned getting some rest, so I'll hold off. Heather and I are here for you if you (or Bev)want to talk, or if we can help in any other way - just let us know.
Nowadays I'm more rattled by the cost of the inevitable bills than the actual problems.

A while ago I'd dropped something heavy on my toe and it kept hurting for about two weeks, so I went to the doctor to have it checked out. I was afraid that it might have been broken, and I didn't want to leave it untreated and be stuck with the pain.

$300 to be told that I'd traumatized my toe. It would hurt for a while and then get better. Take some Ibuprofen.

Stupid doctors.

Now I have bad wisdom teeth that get infected every few weeks and need to be removed. Solution? Ibuprofen. I've figured that out and don't need doctors to tell me. Cost to get it the problem fixed? More than I can afford.

So, yeah. I hope you have insurance.
Mike H:

"He who dares, wins." --British SAS

You made a dare. You have another hurdle, but you're still going to win.

Foomer:

That's the problem with insurance and/or public health care; if insurance and/or the government covers all of the costs, doctors will charge however much they feel like because they have no reason to be competitive. So whenever someone doesn't have insurance, they pay ridiculous sums of money that are hugely inflated compared to the actual cost of the service and the doctor's education indebtedness. There's a reason why most doctors drive BMWs, Mercedes, or Audis.

A move to completely private health care would, of course, suck ass for the poor, which makes it a total damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't situation.
Hang in there, Mike. We're all rooting for you!
That sucks man.

Get well soon eh? I'll take you out for a good old Aussie BBQ when you're better.
Go give the dogs a hug. They'll make you feel better. :)
Best of luck Mike.
Being depressed after finding out that your body's after you again is expected. But don't let a little tumor keep you down, modern medicine will take it to the cleaners in no time.