Shuriken Master

by Megablaze
A sidescrolling action adventure game developped for S.D.Guild contest.
ID:496759

You play as a wandering ninja, whose goal is to become a master Shuriken user. Fight against demons, train against players, advance your skills until you've become a true Shuriken Master.

=======Controls=======
- Left/Right: Move Character
- Up/Down: Aim Shuriken
- "Z": Jump
- "X": Throw Shuriken
- "Enter": World Chat
- Click HUD: Open Upgrade Menu
========================

F.A.Q

Q: What does leveling do?
A: It gives you more health, fully heals you, strength, and some spirit.

Q: The game seems laggy can you fix this?
A: YOU can fix it, try using "Alternate Camera" under the Configure Menu.

Q: I got to the ending pretty quickly, now it's boring, why isn't there more to do?
A: This game was made in it's entirety in 2 weeks, if you want to see more content, make yourself heard in the discussion forum.

Q: I DID like this game, but the Shuriken alone can get a little boring, is there plans for new weapons in the future?
A: No. BUT, there is a single player game in development, so if you like this game, look forward to the full scale single player. The game noted above has been put aside for Pixel RPG which is being worked on.
This is a good game :)
Nice game. However, I died and started walking in the sky, might wanna look into that.
Good job, it worked pretty intuitively however the game-play was lacking. I understand that simplicity was part of the game design however instead of making a fun game all you made was an abstract button masher platformer with out-of-place RPG elements and no depth whatsoever

the presentation was very good though, but it's pointless if there's no actual game-play other than mashing the X key
In response to Yut Put
Cubanbling wrote:
Nice game. However, I died and started walking in the sky, might wanna look into that.

Thought that was fixed in an update, I'll look into it. :/

Yut Put wrote:
Good job, it worked pretty intuitively however the game-play was lacking. I understand that simplicity was part of the game design however instead of making a fun game all you made was an abstract button masher platformer with out-of-place RPG elements and no depth whatsoever

the presentation was very good though, but it's pointless if there's no actual game-play other than mashing the X key

Lol, it was made in two weeks, I'm not going to make a super combo/skill/poweruping/magichellcat game in two weeks. And a lot of action side-scrollers are pretty simple in the fighting aspect, you mash attack buttons and beat the enemy, that's kind of the point. The "out-of-place" RPG elements served their purpose, they were meant to change the functionality of your shuriken, to help you, or change the way you fought enemies. Although I do understand that it's still only one attack button that throws a shuriken, I'll still argue my game, lol.
That's what I was trying not to imply

You can make a fun simple game in two weeks. Epic 0.1 was playable in that time frame.

This is simple, but not fun. I didn't say it needed to be some complex action RPG, I said it was poorly executed.

In response to Yut Put
Lol, way to try and force your opinion by being a dick. I worked hard on this game because I had a lot of fun with it, I really enjoy the game, and some others might as well, really no need to randomly insult the game simply because YOU didn't like it.
I liked the game even if it was just mashing X you can change the direction of ur shuriken and everything pretty cool if you ask me and I'm sure there will be more in the future.
In response to Megablaze
Megablaze wrote:
Lol, way to try and force your opinion by being a dick.

you're welcome.

I worked hard on this game because I had a lot of fun with it,

that's good for you

I really enjoy the game, and some others might as well,

There's no depth, no progression(besides getting a bit stronger and fighting mildly stronger enemies with the same boring AI), extremely poor level design(The platforming doesn't even offer anything to the game-play, it's just a means of switching between floor levels and can be exploited through the grindy process of just holding down+X to kill everything beneath you)

I could go on if I'm not coming up with valid enough reasons to say this is not a good game. But no, I must be trolling

really no need to randomly insult the game simply because YOU didn't like it.

I'm not saying I didn't like it, and I'm not randomly insulting it. I'm saying it was poorly designed in general and that nobody would actually like it. "Oh yeah man, wanna go play some Shuriken Master?" is something nobody would ever say. Comparatively it is okay for this community but I can link you over 9,000 cheesy flash games with better design before you could even lift a finger to type "troll"
Gotta agree with Yut Put on this one, simple but not necessarily fun. The concept is good but it got extremely repetitive rather fast. All you really did was continuously walk and kill enemies by mashing the X button.

Needless to say though the game has potential. Maybe add some sort of plot perhaps? Trying to become a shuriken master doesn't really hook me to the game.
In response to Yut Put
Yut Put wrote:
There's no depth, no progression(besides getting a bit stronger and fighting mildly stronger enemies with the same boring AI), extremely poor level design(The platforming doesn't even offer anything to the game-play, it's just a means of switching between floor levels and can be exploited through the grindy process of just holding down+X to kill everything beneath you)

It's an action game not a platformer, I don't even have anything I need to argue here because none of it is relevant to a two week action side-scroller.

I could go on if I'm not coming up with valid enough reasons to say this is not a good game. But no, I must be trolling

Trolling? Why do people throw out that word in the middle of an argument? Do you even understand what trolling is?

I'm not saying I didn't like it, and I'm not randomly insulting it. I'm saying it was poorly designed in general and that nobody would actually like it. "Oh yeah man, wanna go play some Shuriken Master?" is something nobody would ever say. Comparatively it is okay for this community but I can link you over 9,000 cheesy flash games with better design before you could even lift a finger to type "troll"

Dude... game made in two weeks... Any flash game is made in much larger time frames, this was just a challenge development. I don't really feel like re-iterating the same thing over and over, so, safe to say, if you don't have any valid arguments that takes into consideration what the purpose of this game is, then I'll delete it, I don't feel like wasting my time.

Digits wrote:
Gotta agree with Yut Put on this one, simple but not necessarily fun. The concept is good but it got extremely repetitive rather fast. All you really did was continuously walk and kill enemies by mashing the X button.

Needless to say though the game has potential. Maybe add some sort of plot perhaps? Trying to become a shuriken master doesn't really hook me to the game.

Yeah I know it's kind of repetitive, it was really a mini-game that was hinting at a larger scale game. There will be a single player that has a story line and many weapons, upgrades, and skills.
In response to Megablaze
Megablaze wrote:
Dude... game made in two weeks... Any flash game is made in much larger time frames, this was just a challenge development. I don't really feel like re-iterating the same thing over and over, so, safe to say, if you don't have any valid arguments that takes into consideration what the purpose of this game is, then I'll delete it, I don't feel like wasting my time.

I'm gonna have to agree here with Yut Put here as well; the gameplay was executed badly.

There are contests where developers have to complete a game within 48 hours. You had two weeks. The logic behind the comparison is blatantly obvious.
In response to Urias
Urias wrote:
I'm gonna have to agree here with Yut Put here as well; the gameplay was executed badly.

There are contests where developers have to complete a game within 48 hours. You had two weeks. The logic behind the comparison is blatantly obvious.

The logic behind building a game in two weeks was because he continued to compare it to a game that would have a large amount of time to develop AI, a better progression system, etc, which would have been pointless due to the lack of content, this game was designed for it's small scale. The only other point was simply that he didn't like the gameplay, which is simply a matter of opinion, as others do like the game. I could have developed some bland indie game where you run on buildings, or some mario clone, but I decided to base it on shurikens because I liked the idea. I took an idea and cut it down into a mini-game size, if you either didn't like the game, or didn't like the fact that it was shrunken in this manner, that's fine, it's just a matter of opinion. If you think there was a better manner to do THIS game in that time frame, feel free to voice yourself, but I felt my way was the best manner to get the game across.
This is amazing i love it the only is the shuriken only hits the enemies at a certain distance.It could be just me but other than that amazing creation
jhony
Now why the fuck can't other people make a platforming game with pixel movement? It works so smoothly. You should expand this game it's pretty good.