ID:51939

Poll: Was this helpful or did I waste 2 weeks of my life?

Yes 33% (55)
No 5% (9)
I'll stick to Paint/DM 15% (26)
I've been converted to PS 1% (3)
Get back to work on your Project 18% (30)
Fruitloops 24% (40)

Login to vote.

How to Pixel on Photoshop Tutorial: Downloads
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0pt5xz [PC version]
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xn479g [Mac Version]

--
Or, Direct Links (I'd actually suggest the downloads unless you have some sort of godlike internet connection, this file is very "long". >.>)

http://www.vermsrealm.com/games/BO/Hulio-G/files/ ZoomTutoriaPC.png [PC version]
http://www.vermsrealm.com/games/BO/Hulio-G/files/ ZoomTutorial1.png [Mac Version]
http://www.vermsrealm.com/games/BO/Hulio-G/files/links.htm [Both Versions] (You cant click links on pngs so use this when you come across links)

Purpose:
This is for people who want to learn Photoshop for the sole purpose of pixel art; And of course for those who already have it but get confused. If you're a long time PS user and these aren't the only problems you have, consider taking a look.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Preview: (Zoom Tool -> Fit to Screen)
Make sure you click those links in the main tutorial; two of them link to two other tutorials which contain useful information.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What am I supposed to do when I've downloaded the tutorial?
A: Read it, while your photoshop is also open.

Q: So this tutorial should Improve my Pixel Art skills right?
A: Hell no. I can give you a better basketball but that don't mean you'll be a better baller.

Q: Is it only supposed to have pictures on it?
Q: Nvm, didnt see the bottom.
Yosh! I've been waiting for this. Thanks.
This is why I stay on byond, it's constant amusement. Note this is right after I submit this blog.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7572/picture41mk8.png

And who the hell voted fruit loops?
Good stuff Hulio!

Q: What level tolerance do you use with the magic wand tool when pixeling <_< Frekin always jumps colours for me.
Chris-g1 wrote:
Q: What level tolerance do you use with the magic wand tool when pixeling <_< Frekin always jumps colours for me.

If you only want only that one color tolerance should always be set to 0. I thought I put that it in there. ;(

For tolerance, it's a universal definition that works for everything.
A tutorial of this size shouldn't be presented as an image. First, different people have different screen resolutions, and I don't like having to scroll left and right to read a single line of text. Further, links are a basic, powerful, essential part of the internet; you shouldn't expect your readers to type out a URL. Basic HTML is easier to learn than photoshop. Whoever popularized image tutorials should be forced to read them.

I've been using Photoshop for about ten years, but I didn't know about that shift-click line drawing feature, Thanks.
IainPeregrine wrote:
A tutorial of this size shouldn't be presented as an image. First, different people have different screen resolutions, and I don't like having to scroll left and right to read a single line of text. Further, links are a basic, powerful, essential part of the internet; you shouldn't expect your readers to type out a URL. Basic HTML is easier to learn than photoshop. Whoever popularized image tutorials should be forced to read them.

This. Also... "File Size: 8Mb"... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

You should have really used HTML. Would have been quicker, easier to read, looked better and not 8MB. (I wouldn't normally mind an 8MB file, it is only a 2s download, but for a tutorial it's not needed, and the hosts your using are really slow and it's taking me a good 5-10 minutes to even view the full image)
I wish there was a way to save blogs so I could come back to this at a later time. It looks really good =/
@ Both Magic and Iain
I started off using my favorite Mac software "TextEdit", which mainly uses RTF or Webarchive. It was not until I finished I was alerted by an angry Andriod Data that PC users can't handle these RTF files properly (the images wouldn't show, etc). Then I realized I was screwed and didn't know what the hell I was doing. You can't really convert it either without having some issues with the pictures...This would have never happened if I was a PC user -_-.

@ Magic (you ungrateful bastard)
So you're saying Verms (who actually does have a slow internet) hosting is what makes that image appear slowly? And not the fact that its an 8mb file?

@ Iain
For the direct downloaders there's a link that has all the links hyperlinked. (An idea I had thought of alot later on).

And I feel everyones pain (it hurts the writer even more then the reader to find out things didn't go well; I don't want people to struggle), I TRIED to make things easier for people throughout the whole tutorial and to the publishing phase. But converting it would probably take me another couple days, I'd have to figure out how Microsoft Word works, heeelllll no. This was my first tutorial and I can say it was an okay learning experience. Next time I make a tutorial I'll figure out how using images in word/office or whatever works and most importantly I'll save as html.
Hulio-G wrote:
@ Magic (you ungrateful bastard)
So you're saying Verms (who actually does have a slow internet) hosting is what makes that image appear slowly? And not the fact that its an 8mb file?

Most likely? If the person viewing the image has a crappy computer that will most likely cause some issues too. The image is 1,143 x 10,826 pixels in size, which will totally kill older machines.
But my computer is more than good enough to handle an image that is 10x that size without any issues. So the image only appears as fast (or slowly in this case) as it can be downloaded.
My condolences to anyone running PS on a crappy machine anyway...Again, If you're computer isn't godly then don't "direct link" it's not that hard people, everyones lazy.

Anyway, Magic and Iain thanks for that advice. Verm offered a solution to help switch things to html so we'll work on that RIGHT NOW. But for now those of you who desire to learn, just download. Bare with us for the meanwhile.
My god, garbage wait till Jenny see's Kevin lmao.

Paint paint paint paint paint!

Jay/kay! Look's good, finally finished and did something nice for >[ONCE]<.
Very Helpful Thanks man =D
That must be y ur on byond Helpin gppl who get confused :P
Download links are broken + cant zoom in pic :(
Lordraix wrote:
Download links are broken + cant zoom in pic :(

Alright thanks for the alert. Links have been fixed. Also, Vermolius has a new webhost now so the links are a lot quicker then they used to be.
Just to let you know, I am still here. I will be active next week, so don't worry about me. Just continue to make things!
Yes, you wasted two weeks of your life. I'm sorry, I've caught "Gimp" *coughs*.

*Edit* - Sorry, didn't know it was 3 years ago..