MudKipz?
Charliegrooms14 wrote:
MudKipz?

Stop spamming or I'll ban you.
There isn't a game on the market which requires players to grind away on training dummies in order to level up.

If you want to create a moronic game for moronic players, then by all means do so. If you would like make something actually worth the bandwidth it costs to download it then you'll remove "training" and create a more interactive form of leveling.
SuperAntx wrote:
There isn't a game on the market which requires players to grind away on training dummies in order to level up.

If you want to create a moronic game for moronic players, then by all means do so. If you would like make something actually worth the bandwidth it costs to download it then you'll remove "training" and create a more interactive form of leveling.

I've already stated that I am adding a more interactive form of leveling. However, some people like having games full of grinding, so that's always an option for those who do.

The only reason people would prefer grindan' over actually playing a game is because they can weigh down a "train" command and come back from school level 99999999 and kill everyone on the server.

How about, I don't know, making a game instead? Like I said before, there is no commercial game on the market which requires the player to level up by hitting a punching bag.

WoW as an example recently added training dummies, but you know what they're for? TRAINING! You're able to get a solid reading on your damage per second after beating the crap out of one for awhile. You're able to practice on your spell rotation and all that neat stuff.

Assuming you're making generic PvP-focused Anime RPG, how about promoting some actual character interaction? In Warhammer you could level up solely on Player vs Player alone. In cases where other players were 10 levels higher than you, you were bumped up to be on par with them. You still weren't as strong as a real level whatever they were, but at least you had a fighting chance.

In WoW before they remade the PvP system you were able to participate in battlegrounds and earn tokens. You turned these tokens in for a repeatable quest which rewarded experience and honor points.

You could, however, add in some actual friggin' quests. Make it an MMO proper. Of course, that would require you to come up with some original content.

Also, lol mudkipzz!!1
Wow, did you even read any of the other comments? It's an anime game demo, like Masterdan's, but better. The purpose is to serve as a substitute for all the crappy resources available at the moment. The training is still infinitely more entertaining than your typical anime game's, and if a developer does use it and not want training, they can remove it.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that I do plan on adding a quest system, among other things, such as an advanced AI. I don't watch much anime, nor do I lack an imagination, as you implied near the end of your post. I have no active fan game projects at the moment (unless you would consider this to be one), by the way. Also, I only wrote this edit because it's rather difficult to type on an iPod.
The idea of an anime demo is great.

I recommend you implement a system of PvE auto-respawning mobs to train off of with a decent AI. I think it gives the wrong message to have a training system centered around arbitrary activities that are not related to the core gameplay and I would like to see this enter in to the next generation of games.
Masterdan wrote:
I recommend you implement a system of PvE auto-respawning mobs to train off of with a decent AI. I think it gives the wrong message to have a training system centered around arbitrary activities that are not related to the core gameplay and I would like to see this enter in to the next generation of games.

Haha, I actually mentioned that many, many, many times in the comments below :P. I already have a smell and sound system implemented, it shouldn't be very difficult to add in AI.
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
You're doing a great job jeff. Im enjoying you're stuff im loking forward to the upcoming shizzle.
So far the best training method that is still sorta lazy like that is one I made about 3 years ago. I used the minigame tile source and made a small virtual trainer game, inside the game, that you could play. It was just a very small ship that had to dodge meteors and enemies and make it to its goal, or kamikaze things etc... It was for a gundam game, but could be changed up to match most animes. People like playing games, not holding buttons, so it was a great alternative for it.

Though personally training is usually bad to me, if I see a game with training I won't play it(Even though I don't play anime games). Training should be real experience, like fighting a test dummy, or sparring, or actually fighting and killing other people. Cause noone wants to sit in front of a screen wasting hours clicking a moving bar, hitting keys, or clicking moving things, that is just plain stupid!
Bakasensei wrote:
So far the best training method that is still sorta lazy like that is one I made about 3 years ago. I used the minigame tile source and made a small virtual trainer game, inside the game, that you could play. It was just a very small ship that had to dodge meteors and enemies and make it to its goal, or kamikaze things etc... It was for a gundam game, but could be changed up to match most animes. People like playing games, not holding buttons, so it was a great alternative for it.

Though personally training is usually bad to me, if I see a game with training I won't play it(Even though I don't play anime games). Training should be real experience, like fighting a test dummy, or sparring, or actually fighting and killing other people. Cause noone wants to sit in front of a screen wasting hours clicking a moving bar, hitting keys, or clicking moving things, that is just plain stupid!

Like I said, I don't like training either. This is going to be open source, as some people do like it (and those that don't can be smart and delete it).
What's the point of this project, if I might ask?

You're pretty much just throwing another game out there for people to rip off.

If your intention is to force them to learn about DM with a decent game rather than one shotty piece of crap with usr abuse, shouldn't you just make tutorials on how to make punching bags, weight training systems, and all that normal anime junk?
SuperAntx wrote:
What's the point of this project, if I might ask?

You're pretty much just throwing another game out there for people to rip off.

If your intention is to force them to learn about DM with a decent game rather than one shotty piece of crap with usr abuse, shouldn't you just make tutorials on how to make punching bags, weight training systems, and all that normal anime junk?

It's less entertaining. Besides, have you even noticed that they always go on about learning from a source being better than tutorials? I doubt any anime fan would touch a tutorial when they already have full games to use. Besides, I don't really plan on adding much actual content, only the structure of a game. That way they can add their own content and learn in the process (I may release content packs or something for BYOND members, but they wouldn't be that big).
Cause all of that is already out there, just there to lazy to download and in-twine.
Page: 1 2