ID:69350

So, a few people have mentioned some misgivings about the Run ability being included in the actions list...

I myself didn't quite like it (since it doesn't really belong with the others, as it's a passive ability that doesn't require clicking on something to use, and it removes the ability to use anything else while its "on"), but at the time of its inclusion, I felt that I didn't want to clutter the HUD with another button just for it, so I stuck it in with the player actions instead...

But, due to the feedback against it, I've broken down and moved it onto its own HUD button...

This required a bit of moving other buttons around, so now the Music/SFX and AFK toggles are located at the top left, both the Control button (the book that brings up the Registry, vote to abort, etc.) and Round Start button are at the top right, and the new Run button is at the bottom right...

This, then, made it look a little unbalanced to me (all corners but the bottom right had 2 buttons), so I added in something I've actually been meaning to for a while: a HUD stat display...

So no more having to Look at yourself to see your stats (which also spammed the text area with the output), there's a little set of bars in the corner that show all 4...

As for the Run ability itself, having it on still has the same effects on the game, but how you use it (or are able to use it) has changed a little...

Obviously, you click the button to turn it on, and then you can run around, crash through windows, ram into people, etc... But the effect only lasts for 4 seconds, after which it automatically turns itself off... This time is then followed by a 10 second "cool down" period, where it can't be used again... Then, once you're ready to Run again, you just click the icon again... During the time that it's unavailable, the icon changes to red, and clicking it just gives you a "This can't be performed" text output...

The time periods listed above are subject to change depending on feedback/my whims...lol

Anyways, screenshots as promised:

Have you ever considered making that rain partially translucent?
And for those that are wondering, the zombies are indeed a pretty major threat...

In fact, there's honestly no current way to fight them off... You basically have to outmaneuver/outrun them...

Sure, you can kill one individually, if you've got a decent weapon (for the sake of ease in programming, I'm ignoring the headshot-only method of killing zombies; any weapon will kill them just like it does any living person) but the problem is one of numbers... If you kill one, you're stuck by the attack delay, and the others nearby will swarm and eat you (again, for the sake of easy programming, players do not become zombies when they are bitten, they just die and respawn... sometimes right in the middle of a group of zombies, though, only to be killed again right away, but thems the breaks... however, players who are bitten but manage to get away without dying suffer from a brief period of poisoning)

Anyways, there are a few points around each map that the zombies spawn from (it spawns 50 at round start, and picks from the zombie spawn points to spawn each one, so you get a little group at each point), and on most maps, one of those spots is right near the escape vehicle... Zombies that are killed respawn at one of the zombie spawns (so there are always 50 of them in play)

Zombies then just wander around aimlessly (they just use step_rand(), instead of trying to use the AI pathing, which would be murder on the game, as seen with just 3 AI on the hospital map), until they view a player, when they run directly toward him/her for dinner... Which means that most of the zombies will still be very close to the point they were spawned at... Which means that even by the time someone gathers the 3 necessary components of the escape, and heads to the goal, they'll likely find it surrounded by zombies...

I just ran a test session to complete the mode, and I just *barely* made it out alive... In fact, I had gathered the three items, and made my way to the front entrance of the Clue mansion (where the screenshots were taken) to get to the getaway car, only to find that the Foyer (what is called the "Hall" in the board game, but I had to name it differently, because I use "Hall" for the hallway areas of each map) was filled with them (some of them make their way randomly through the front doors, and some chase players inside)

I was unarmed (not spending the time to pick up a weapon), so I would have been screwed trying to get out to the car, if not for a hapless AI that had wandered into view of the zombies immediately in my path, and they turned their attention to her, and I zoomed past to the car...lol

It's too bad the poor lady had to be the sacrificial lamb, but that's the way it has to be during a zombie outbreak...lol
Foomer wrote:
Have you ever considered making that rain partially translucent?

It actually is semi-transparent... The light blue fill is only at 47 opacity, and the drops themselves are at 168... I guess, though, that that could stand to be lower...
With every update, I become more and more eager to play the game. :]

Come on SSGX. >:P
D4RK3 54B3R wrote:
With every update, I become more and more eager to play the game. :]

Come on SSGX. >:P

Ummm, what do you mean "come on"? It's been out for three days now...lol
WHAT!? WHY HAVE I NOT BEEN INFORMED OF THIS?!
Off topic:

I think you should maybe describe what the game is about on your hub. Along with that, list what game modes you have, somewhat like SS13's hub. I say this because if I have never played this game before, I look at the hub and find no information of what this game is. Perhaps you can just give us a link to the list of updates you have on the current hub.
Yeah, the hub page really could (should) be an actual description of the game, even to the point of "selling" the game... I've just gotten used to using it as a simple "news" page to communicate with those already familiar...

I guess I still sort of view BYOND as being limited to the core of community-active developers/players/members, and I assume that the vast majority of them are already familiar with the game, or at least know where to look for more information... I seem to always forget that there's a huge number of BYOND users that are "silent" players... BYOND users that might never even set foot in any of the community areas of the site outside of games themselves...

"Out of sight, out of mind" and all, so I tend to not take their existence into consideration for these sorts of things...

But yeah, I really should turn that into a better ad for the game geared towards "outsiders"...lol