In response to Silk Games
Silk Games wrote:
The BYOND software is headed in a direction that will open up all sorts of possibilities, and all that the BYOND community seems to be able to do is sit around rehashing the same conversations that they've been having for the past decade.

^ Gospel.

Most people who complain about the time games take to be released, just do not understand what goes on in development. Especially being an indie-dev, it does not pay the bills or in my case do my exams for me.
Yusuke good to see you back man. We need to pick up where we left off.
Not once did I say anything about the games in development. I was just speaking of the small number of prommising games in development.

@Boxcar: Absolutely! Glad to see your mobo is up.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
It's been in development for a long time because of the community we have, not because the game doesn't have potential. If we had a lot of serious committed programmers here, WANO's project would probably be near completed if not finished.

These games do have potential but that's often all they have. Usually the gameplay looks generic or simply doesn't exist. There are lots of projects that have been in the works for months (or years) and the game only has some graphics and maps the player can walk around (even though maps and walking are provided by BYOND).

I'm not entirely sure why this happens. It certainly has to do with people having one dream project. My best guess is that people love working on their dream project so much that they don't care about making progress. They just enjoy working on it whether the work puts it closer to being playable or not, so they focus on what they like (maps and graphics) and just imagine how awesome it would be with cool gameplay. The people who look at the screenshots do the same thing. The screenshots don't depict the gameplay (because it's not there) so people imagine what it'd be like. It's always easier and more fun to imagine the game with good gameplay than to implement it, so while these games have potential, that's all they ever have.

Chris Gayle wrote:
Most people who complain about the time games take to be released, just do not understand what goes on in development.

More often the opposite is true. People who don't understand what goes on in game development claim that it's a long process. The people who complain about the long development time are the ones who know how things work and know that it shouldn't be taking that long.

Games do take a lot of work but not every part of a game takes a long time to develop. If you've making an action RPG, within a day or two you should have a demo of what combat will be like. The basic gameplay is very simple and easy to develop, it's the content that can take a long time. The completed game may have thousands of enemies, items, and special attacks, but within a day or two you should be able to put together a demo with representative examples (ex: one enemy with standard AI, one melee attack, and one ranged attack).

The gameplay should be present and enjoyable from the start. If you've spent 40-60 hours on a project and don't have something people will find enjoyable, there's a good chance it never will be enjoyable. There are very few unreleased projects that look enjoyable. I suppose that since time won't help, being behind schedule doesn't really matter. The only benefit to being on a faster schedule is to the game's developer. Since most projects end up being only learning experiences for the developer, less time wasted on one project means they can start their next learning experience sooner.
In response to Yusuke13
Yusuke13 wrote:
I was just speaking of the small number of prommising games in development.

Maybe I've just been missing his posts, but it seems like since the site change (the removal of blogs), Oasiscircle hasn't been posting about his projects as much. Most didn't get released but he was always working on something that looked interesting. Of all the games ever in development here that looked promising, his were a significant number of them.
Yusuke13 wrote:
-Posts about games that will never be finished

I may agree for other people's posts, but my Storm2Byond is definitely going to be finished.

Also I agree with everything else you said on your post
In response to Iobject
Iobject wrote:
but my Storm2Byond is definitely going to be finished.

Isn't that a fan game though? Naurto Remake or something...

Although I have nothing against it, I hope you finish it :)
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Iobject wrote:
but my Storm2Byond is definitely going to be finished.

Isn't that a fan game though? Naurto Remake or something...

Although I have nothing against it, I hope you finish it :)

It is a fangame. It's intending to be a remake of Storm2 for the 2D engine we have utilizing our isometric systems with tons and tons of stuff. Also thanks!
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
Yusuke13 wrote:
I was just speaking of the small number of prommising games in development.

Maybe I've just been missing his posts, but it seems like since the site change (the removal of blogs), Oasiscircle hasn't been posting about his projects as much. Most didn't get released but he was always working on something that looked interesting. Of all the games ever in development here that looked promising, his were a significant number of them.

Thanks! Hopefully I can finish my current project before the end of the school year.

Page: 1 2