ID:75921

we all know rips are bad. you know why they keep getting made? because people keep playing them.

you know why people keep playing them? because BYOND is largely populated by 12 year olds who enjoy rips because the actual gameplay in a game is irrelevant to them-- it's just the social element, which is powered by the possibility that if they can't become GM/sharingan/super officer on rip #3210, they might be able to on rip #3211. (and in that same sense, rip #3212 gets made in that player's excitement of being the owner of a game)

normally, the response of the non-12-year-old crowd is to condemn the rips and try as hard as they can to get rid of them (note that by 'get rid of' i mean badmouth in a lazy fashion).... but that's simply not going to happen. there are too many rips being created by too many people, and sources will never be safe in the mistake-prone hands of the young'ns.

how else can we fix the problem? by making good games. ignore the rips-- they aren't affecting you. the BYOND staff has provided the tools necessary to glorify and make known the good games, it's just up to us to actually make them, and make them glorious.

BYOND has been in a developmental slum lately; real games are few and far between, and even when they do pop up they're either "1% done super alpha testing" or simply bad.

the next time you see some annoying rip or someone asking for a source code, close the browser and work on that abandoned project some more. that way, the next time you see a rip, you can shove your game in their face and tell them that this is what you're supposed to do.
I will continue to do both simultaneously, thank you very much.
Can you answer my question about gm?

Edit

Plus I am programming my own game. I was helping some guy out in pixel art but I decided to make my own game.
We need more games like your Raegon.
Stop telling people to "stop decrying rips, start making games" and start making games!
Stop telling people to "stop decrying rips, start making games" and start making games, stick boy!
Madow wrote:

or like your--oh wait

Foomer wrote:
Stop telling people to "stop decrying rips, start making games" and start making games, stick boy!

You were 11 minutes too late!
Madow wrote:

Here's a tip: you can't insult/criticize/etc. a programmer based on their first game.
People need know when they are doing wrong or they'll keep doing it. Why are rippers any exception? They won't learn anything by seeing popular games made from scratch, as seen with games like Naruto GOA. I wouldn't recommend internet vigilantism such as spamming rips, they just need to know their rips are not wanted around here.
Jeff8500 wrote:
Madow wrote:

Here's a tip: you can't insult/criticize/etc. a programmer based on their first game.

I meant what I said. :S
Some people don't want to learn, they just want to have a game that they can play with their friends. I guarantee they don't care what you think about it, either.
Aixelsyd wrote:
they just need to know their rips are not wanted around here.

The problem with this theory is: If that were true, no one would play them. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

Sure, there are a lot of unplayed 'rips', but there are also a lot of popular 'rips'.
Making a game takes a lot of time, and most people don't really have the time to actually get a plan generated, then get a team to help you complete that plan.

Eventually the people who are using stolen sources will start to wonder if they should try to create a original game that people might enjoy. I think people should do more to start encouraging people to come up with their own unique ideas, get a team together and create their own game.

Although people are already encouraging other BYOND members to create their own game, I don't really believe its enough encouragement.

I hope in the future, there will be a large portion of BYOND members (Even well-known people who've stolen sources) learning to program, and develop their own game.

I would also assume there's more reasons to why people play, and continue to try to develop their game by using someone else's work.
Unfortunately, telling people to create original games only works once. Then they learn that you're going to ignore them because you consider them "1% done super alpha testing" or simply bad. Meanwhile, audiences are not likely to be drawn away from games with purloined content unless there are already people to socialize with.
Aixelsyd wrote:
"they just need to know their rips are not wanted around here."

Of course, as Foomer said, no one that actually plays rips really cares. Their rips aren't wanted by the people who don't want them, but not the people who don't mind them and the people who actually play them, for whatever reason.

@Obby:
It may depend on the number of people developing things, but it matters more what they develop. What we need is more diverse games made by much more creative people. Lots of people making similar things in very similar styles(or making the same exact thing by means of taking code) makes a dull selection.

Original games are just as noticeable as the i in this pattern:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm sure the fact that all of the byond elite bash those would-be rippers and treat them like dirt probably contributes to the fact that there are more ripped games than original. those we "encourage" to create new material by insulting them are actually encouraged to do the opposite, if only out of spite. the byond member crowd is, in my opinion, one of the problems in this particular situation.
Kaiochao wrote:
Aixelsyd wrote:
"they just need to know their rips are not wanted around here."

Of course, as Foomer said, no one that actually plays rips really cares. Their rips aren't wanted by the people who don't want them, but not the people who don't mind them and the people who actually play them, for whatever reason.

@Obby:
It may depend on the number of people developing things, but it matters more what they develop. What we need is more diverse games made by much more creative people. Lots of people making similar things in very similar styles(or making the same exact thing by means of taking code) makes a dull selection.

Original games are just as noticeable as the i in this pattern:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the i without skimming through or anything; I just saw it. Does that make me special?
Morpheus will contact you soon.
Morpheus? Oh god no, don't matrixkick my face off.
Duelmaster409 wrote:
Morpheus? Oh god no, don't matrixkick my face off.

*walks away quietly*
Page: 1 2