ID:77247

Keywords: dev_log
I have made some major progress in my game, Zelda: Shadow of the Triforce. First off, I have some screenshots to show you of the first three windows.

First off, we have the Title screen. A lot of you might have already seen this from my earlier post about the pixel art for the game.

Here we have the File Selection screen. For now, since nothing is done past the first cutscene, the File Selection is blank. In the future each file will look different depending on your character and save location. You will also choose the file with a cursor as always. Nothing in this game uses the mouse.

And lastly of the three we have the Character Selection. Here you can choose through different races which are clearly explained on the side there. After choosing one, you begin the cutscene. There will be two begining cutscenes. The first one is the one which explains the main storyline. I have that one finished. The second one changes depending on your choice of character.

Here's an example:

If you were to choose the Goron race, you would go to the Goron's village here and the elder would assign you a task which would ultimately throw you into the main story.

What is the main storyline, you ask?
I'm here to explain.

A long time ago Ganon was defeated by Link. Ganon wanted to rule the world, but since he was defeated he had to retreat to a tower.
After Ganon got into the tower, he was sealed in by powerful magics.

The begining of the first cutscene has your camera climbing up that tower as it tells you this.

Now Ganon sat in that tower for a long time, but after some time a fairy actually came to him. That fairy was injured, but instead of healing it, Ganon used the last of his evil magic to taint it. Using this magic, he killed himself, but the fairy turned into an Anti-Fairy.

Anti-fairies are just what their name suggests, they are the opposite of normal fairies. Now normaly fairies are good and use their pure magic to heal the people of Hyrule and make them pure. The Anti-fairies use their magic so that anything they touch turns evil.

Now we go to the temple of the Triforce.

As the screenshot says, the Triforce sits there to keep balance in Hyrule. Now remember that anything the Anti-fairies touch becomes evil. That means that if one anti-fairy touches another fairy, that fairy turns into an anti-fairy. This of course means that hordes of anti-fairies were being created everyday. And since anti-fairies turn good things evil, the triforce is on their list.

That is the Triforce in it's "Shadow" form. Now the one thing keeping balance in Hyrule is tainted and evil. This means that the world gets overrun by monsters.

All people are in danger by these anti-fairies. The Hyrule Castle and Castle town have already been infected and turned into towns of monsters that used to be normal humans. After your first cutscene you find yourself in an underground hideout. Your first mission, get Hyrule Castle back.

And that is where the story begins. That has been an inside look at Zelda: Shadow of the Triforce.

Tell me what you think! There is lots of more work to be done. Currently I'm having Korby recolor some NPC sprites for me to look more 16-bit.
I am hoping to get a test version up and ready for you guys very soon.
I am looking forward to finally getting a high quality single player RPG out into BYOND! I hope you guys feel the same about it when I release it.
I am a big fan of the Zelda game series, Nice to see your trying to do it right!

one bit of C&C though

Rather then selecting characters why not do the Majora's Mask thing rather then restriction to one "race".
It's not majoras mask, it's Shadow of the Triforce! I've never seen a thing like this where you can choose character or race. It's original.
I will say this.

I am planning a "ring" system like they had in the Gameboy zelda series. Rings will transform you into various things. One ring will transform you into something that looks like a Hyrule Castle guard in order to sneak into the castle unnoticed.
Looks great, I'll be sure to check it out once it's up for testing.
Thanks. I'm certainly curious as to what people think of the storyline.
Everything is looking great :), shame it has rip icons :(
It's a Zelda fangame, of course it will use Zelda sprites. There are lots of edits and recolors in there though so that it works.
Holy crap!, It looks awesome that would be cool if you could suggest the idea to Nintendo and them make it into a actual game... Well, you'd also probably wanna suggest some credit for the idea also =/
Nintendo wants something "different" though, like a gay guy riding a train in a conductor suit.
Big fan of Zelda, as well.

Looks good.
Sold. I'm a fan, keep going!
Fugsnarf wrote:
Nintendo wants something "different" though, like a gay guy riding a train in a conductor suit.

But if you could get them to go back to the original... that could change everything =D