ID:83324

Keywords: dev_log
Over the time, I've had a few people taken aside to test my game, Zelda: Shadow of the Triforce. I have found one thing that has been common in all of the tests that people have taken part in:

Nobody ever found the secrets!

Come on people. This is a Zelda game. You must leave nothing untouched. Zelda games always have secrets everywhere. It's how you find all the hearts, it's how you get easy rupees, and it's how you finish dungeons to their full extent.

So why would you miss things like this? I think it's this weird voice inside us BYONDers telling us that it's like every other game. "It's always as it seems."
If you're going to play my game, you're going to have to disregard that statement, because it's never as it seems ;)

On to the most recent updates!

It's been a little while since I've updated for you guys. I've been so focused on getting this dungeon done... hold on a second. Is it done?!

No, sorry, it's not done. I've made some great progress though!

Let's start first with this dungeon's item. That item is the Bow. This bow shoots arrows, obviously. There are two ways to obtain arrows. Either you get lucky from enemies, or find a chest with them in there. I do provide a chest with 10 arrows inside of it.

Arrows can be used to injure enemies, or to solve puzzles. This can be activating a trigger to open a door, or killing an enemy from far away in order to spawn an item or something.

And now, screenshots!

I've made a new enemy as well. The walking skeleton! Scarey, isn't it? Yeah, not really. They take two hits to kill with a normal sword. They also carry keys sometimes!

That's all the screenshots I have for today. I've added a lot of rooms to the dungeon! I'm currently working on a map and compass system for it and future dungeons as well. The map shows you the entire dungeon layout, while the compass shows where you are in it.

Until next time! I'm still working hard and going strong. I'm also having a friend make a gameplay video for you all to see. I can't wait to get it out there!

Can't wait until it is done. Looks good but one question...will the bow have a icon? xD well thats not very important. Great Job. ^^
Looks cool!

Two suggestions, though:

Add some *hints* to your secrets. For example, slightly different colored walls, scraped floor (for a block that can move)--anything so that they don't look exactly the same as all the other normal blocks, walls, and so on. It's one thing to expect players to give your environment a close look, but it's cruel to expect them to touch every object from every direction :(

Second, when making puzzles that require limited supplies like arrows, make sure to have a respawning enemy or something in the room that a player can beat up on to get the supplies they need. Bomb flowers come to mind as an example.

Keep up the good work!
DarkCampainger wrote:
Looks cool!

Two suggestions, though:

Add some *hints* to your secrets. For example, slightly different colored walls, scraped floor (for a block that can move)--anything so that they don't look exactly the same as all the other normal blocks, walls, and so on. It's one thing to expect players to give your environment a close look, but it's cruel to expect them to touch every object from every direction :(

He could use the compass for things like this. I know that in Link's Awakening the Compass made a noise upon entrance to the room hinting at hidden treasure. Some form of variation on this would probably work.
Looking good! Is it going to have a story?
@DC: I actually do have hints! That one in the dungeon doesn't have one, but any rock on the outside with something hidden under it has an obvious patch of black at the side of it on the bottom. As far as the limited supplies go, you have both a chest that gives you 10 arrows which is only two rooms from the puzzle which requires it, as well as the fact that every enemy has a significantly larger chance of dropping arrows when you kill them with arrows. You also have a chance when you kill them with a sword. If you're dumb enough to shoot all of your arrows though, it's gonna be a little harder. I might add some pots which have some arrows in them.

@Nintendo: Yes, it has a very in-depth storyline. You'll see the basic idea of it in the video when I post it.
Looks nice man! Can't wait to try it out!

When are we going to see any non-fan games? (Not trying to insult, just want to know what your plans are!)

Looks great man, keep up the good work!
I'm hoping to see some very unique items in them later dungeons. ;)
One of the most promising BYOND projects this year... keep up the great effort, Fugs!
@Bootyboy: Thanks! You can count on it.

@Vexonater: You can also count on it!

@Sariat: I actually do have a secret non-fangame planned. I won't be letting out any imformation just yet. Zelda is my main focus right now.
Don't worry Fugsnarf. You can count on me touching everything.
Oasiscircle wrote:

Oh my. That made me laugh.

Fugsnarf wrote:
Oasiscircle wrote:

Oh my. That made me laugh.

*goes into his cardboard box*

Chief, mission accomplished. ;)
You're really awesome, work is great Fugsnarf. Definitely looking forward to the finished product.