ID:858056

It's because of this.
Honestly, while I think the people doing that poison the well to an extent, I think it's more that the artists who put in the time and effort to get good want to work on more prestigious/profitable projects.
It doesn't help no one actually wants to pay for a pixel artist. People expect to find a decent artist who is willing to invest time and effort into creating art for them in return for nothing. That doesn't work at all.
LA, they aren't making art in return for nothing.

They are paid in GM verbs.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=857754

? Issue ? It's true though only a hand full of of developers will pay for a pixel artist.
Take it from a Pixel Artist. Empirez we Pixel Art for every icon in the game (or our team does ) and all we end up getting is GM verb. When a player can get on be nice, be helpful, or they are just good friends with owner and also get gm(but this is usually on fangames ). But if the games original . . -_- what are the chances your team will stay committed to finish the game. Then all that work would be wasted. That's why if I decide to work on games getting paid would be the better thing. Although.. i do end up helping some people on my free time.....
Wait, you're saying that original games never get finished? I'm almost entirely sure that Byond is more littered with the corpses of anime projects than those of original games.
wow im surprised my post from PJ was listed here but what i find more funny is how ppl complain that were looking for free pixel artists, i mean Byond is a freeware so how can i pay someone for pixel art when i get no profit besides the occasional donation ( and i mean legit donations not they donate to unlock things ) how can one pay for pixel artists i pour time into coding just to turn around and not able to have a good game cause "The GFX Sux". if you ask me a pixel artist whos dedicated and sucks is better then one who i have to pay out of pocket with no income and if your logic was in effect we should also pay our hosts that host the game and you should pay byond for making the software to make your games.
In response to Espock
Java is free to download too.

You can be paid for programming, and artists can be paid for making art. Also, getting donations in return for unlocking things is not "not legit". The part you have to worry about is keeping it balanced so that those who donate aren't way above normal players.

Finding the money to pay artists is entirely up to you, don't try to make the argument that you don't make money and therefore you shouldn't have to pay. Your money is your responsibility, so either accept that you have it and can pay for art or you don't and can't.
In response to Espock
Espock wrote:
i pour time into coding just to turn around and not able to have a good game cause "The GFX Sux".

Make the game. Use placeholders. Artists looking for portfolio work will work for free if they like the project enough. Good gameplay can be communicated by shitty graphics.
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
It doesn't help no one actually wants to pay for a pixel artist. People expect to find a decent artist who is willing to invest time and effort into creating art for them in return for nothing. That doesn't work at all.

Ter13 wrote:
Make the game. Use placeholders. Artists looking for portfolio work will work for free if they like the project enough. Good gameplay can be communicated by shitty graphics.

^All that is truth..
In response to LordAndrew
I was more than willing to pay for a pixel artist to work on a project, when I had the money.
In response to A2J2TIWARI
In all honesty, I don't think you're in a place where you've developed enough as a pixel artist to be considered for payment.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
In all honesty, I don't think you're in a place where you've developed enough as a pixel artist to be considered for payment.

I know it very well sir, but thanks for notifying again. I am intermediate artist.
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:

I know it very well sir, but thanks for notifying again. I am intermediate artist.

*basic
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:

*basic

If that is basic, then yeah I am basic artist Vrocaan...

Anyways, are we here to argue what level artist I am or we are here why we've lost our good pixel artists(AmonR, Tayoko and others)?

A2J2TIWARI wrote:
Vrocaan wrote:
A2J2TIWARI wrote:
NNAAAAHH wrote:

*basic

If that is basic, then yeah I am basic artist Vrocaan...

Anyways, are we here to argue what level artist I am or we are here why we've lost our good pixel artists(AmonR, Tayoko and others)?

It's basic. And it's because BYOND's being poopy to pixel artists.
To be perfectly honest I think the idea that people expect pixel artist to work for free is disgusting. Where else do you have someone work for nothing, you don't, that's called volunteering. If you want someone to work for free you have to wait for them to say they want to volunteer, you con't go looking for free stuff because that's not the way the world works. Another reason BYOND has no pixel art is because even when people say they will pay once they get what they want they don't pay you, as trading is based around trust that both parties receive what they want, BYOND reputation for deceitfulness means no one wants to strike up a business relationship.
In response to GreatFisher
Anyone whom actually works at developement of a game wouldn't expect anyone to work for free. It's a sure-fire way to tell if someone isn't serious about making anything.
However, it's not sure-fire as to if they're serious. There's a lot of people willing to throw a bit of cash at someone to do stuff for them, just so they can put their name on it. I honestly can't stand that.
I remember a previous pixel job I had, spent most of my free time creating the artwork. I had to find video references to create accurate motion, wire the art(black outlines), then color and shade. It was actually stressful because I was working with a deadline, but being paid made it worthwhile. (Previous Paid-work)

Some people think working on pixel art is fun and it is, but when your creating batches of art that took hours to create, reality begins to clue you in on what your actually doing. If you have the time and talent to create great artwork fast and you love it, then that person may decide if he'd do it free.
Page: 1 2