ID:900863

(See the best response by Albro1.)

Problem description: I've been trying to learn how to program for quite some time, and I've seen that BYOND programming is quite user friendly and very easy to pick it. It's just a matter of how to combine the terms together to make what you want.

Honestly, where do I start?
What do you suggest? I know how to code turfs in, density, opacity, all that basic stuff. I'm looking for more...ideal interaction. Character selection, combat AI, combat systems for players, etc.

I would really like to be directed to some very user friendly guides and something that helped players pick up their skills. I'd love help too, anything possibly. I plan on renewing my membership, and getting the game ideas that I had in mind on the roll. Many original ideas are flowing through my head and honestly...I really want to make them come to life. So please, I'd love any help...any at all (:

There's a sticky topic in Developer Help that lists many tutorials.
Any recommendations on which ones? I've been looking through them and they confuse the hell out of me honestly. I'm the type of guy that learns through experience, and not out of a book. Ya' know?
Best response
The point of most of them is to get you to try the things they teach and experiment. Let them plant the idea of things and then play with the ideas via code.
Alright, I'll give Your First World! a go and see what I can do with it. I've stuck with graphic art for some time, and never seemed to stretch into the area of coding. I'm nineteen now, so I think I can grasp the concepts a little easier than before. Last time I tried was probably..a year or so ago? Maybe more. Are you open for questions if I need help?
I am and so are many others. Just post in the appropriate place in the forums and someone will attempt to help you.

By the way, age has nothing to do with it. It's about dedication. It's work. As I see it, you shouldn't do work if you don't enjoy it. I enjoy programming. I'm 17, been at it for about 3 years.
Well, I meant age wise as in...knowledge. I've had something personally where I'd sit down and watch a movie and not understand it, and two years later I would understand the concept perfectly.

I was merely suggesting that the concepts might be easier to understand than before, ya' know?

But of course, I know many people that excel in these areas and they are very young. It's just a matter of what clicks and what doesn't. That's very good though, keep going. I plan to actually take college courses soon for game production at Full Sail University.