ID:93073

Not a bug
BYOND Version:464
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 3.5.8
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Setting world/turf to /turf/grass doesn't have any effect, the areas remain black.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world
turf = /turf/grass

turf
grass
icon = 'turf.dmi'
icon_state = "grass"

Expected Results:
The whole map to have grass.

Actual Results:
The entire map remains black.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Everytime and for every person(well at least to Calus Corps who gave me alot of information).

When does the problem NOT occur?
world
turf = /turf/grass

turf
grass
icon = 'turf.dmi'
icon_state = "grass"

When you take off that indention.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

I have a good feeling this has been around for a while now.

Workarounds:

[23:02:27] Calus CoRPS: HG, it's happened to me in the past. What I usually do is compile and save, close dm, and the reload the environment.

[23:02:44] Calus CoRPS: The grass should be on the map

[23:04:35] Calus CoRPS: Actually, HG, I think that's a bug

[23:05:00] Calus CoRPS: If you use the select tool, and select a part of the area without the turf, and delete it, the turf/grass will appear

Edit*

Another work around is deleting the map and creating a new map, AFTER you've already programmed the code.
You will have to delete the entire map for it to show unless you create a new map after world/turf has been set.
world.turf is the default turf type, applied to any new turfs created at runtime by manipulating world.maxx/y/z, and to areas of the world map that individual map files are not big enough to cover. Turfs already defined in a map file will use whatever type they were given at the time the map file was made.