ID:94930

Keywords: photos, running

About two weeks ago I did the Run Through Redlands 5K — my second 5K (non-mud) race this year, and second overall since something like 1993. While all half marathon runners got a finisher's medal, 5K runners only got a medal if they finished in the top 5 for their age group. I wanted a medal to go along with my Surf City USA finisher's medal from February. Would I be able to do it?

Checking the results from last year's race revealed that a medal might be within reach. But just barely. Last year's 5th place runner in M 30-34 finished with a time of 22:56. My Surf City time was 25:42, but I've been improving since then. I'd recently ran a 22:30 5K on a treadmill - but that's not quite the same as running out on the road. It would be close.

A check of last year's M 35-39 group deflated my hopes a bit, however. I'd have barely cracked the top 10 in the older group. There were quite a few more runners in that group, so it appears that a little luck is needed in regards to how many people run in your division and how many of them are good. I figured my odds weren't great, all things considered.

There were quite a few kids in the 5K race. They all crowded the front, which made dodging the slower ones a bit tricky over the first quarter mile or so. Then again, some of them kicked my butt in the race - I was beaten by a number of kids as young as 8!

Race: 5K
Overall: 119 out of 2178
Men: 93 out of 883
M 30-34: 5 out of 72
Age/Grade: 57.03%  Place: 320
Finish: 23:01  Pace: 7:25
Tag Time: 23:01
Gun Time: 23:06

Results

Got the medal! Looking over the results, it seems that the 25-34 age group is the place to be if you want a top-5 medal. Age groups from 8 to 24 and 35 to 49 did significantly better - I wouldn't have had a chance at cracking the top 5 in any of those. Too bad next year I'll be in the more competitive 35-39 group!

Check out the real story over at BIKE GODS.

You know back when I was about 16 or 17 I ran a 5:04 mile, beating my closest competitor who ran it in ~5:35. It felt good, I doubt I can even run that far now at any pace. =(

It's all about focus, I zone completely out when I run. If you free your mind it's easy to stay at a very good pace. The second I start thinking about my stomach cramps, weak legs, or the dizzy feeling I start breathing too hard and have to slow way down.